Home » Infrastructure » Unix » multiple databases & charcterset
multiple databases & charcterset [message #98361] Tue, 17 August 2004 22:04 Go to next message
ramya
hi

how can i created multiple databases in one oracle software.i am using  oracle9.2.How we can set multiple profiles  cos i am logging as  one user.so how to set defualt db we can use after creating multiple dbs.so we use ORACLE_SID=dbname;export ORACLE_SID.my dought is how to incorporate these things.if

i am using different characterset

with regards

ramya

Re: multiple databases & charcterset [message #98362 is a reply to message #98361] Wed, 18 August 2004 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daljit Singh
Hi,

You can easily create multiple databases under a single oracle software. It is not any special case, at almost all of the sites you will find multiple databases running under single oracle installation. That software will be owned by a single OS user in Unix/Linux. There is no need to create separate OS user for each database.

If you have multiple databases then the default will be one, whose entry would be in the OS user's profile. If you are sitting directly on oracle server box and want to access another database then you have to set ORACLE_SID environment variable, but to access it remotely use appropriate net connection string to identify each database uniquely. Moreover there is no harm at all to run multiple databases with different charactersets under single oracle software.

Hope it will help you.

Daljit Singh.
How to create multiple databases & charcterset [message #98485 is a reply to message #98362] Wed, 24 November 2004 01:42 Go to previous message
Gautam Sikka
One database can be created while installing oracle, but now I want to add one more database.

How can I create multiple database on a single oracle
Previous Topic: script to log into all oracle databases in one unix server
Next Topic: Problems with brand-new Oracle 10g on Solatis 10
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 10:43:14 CDT 2024