Home » Infrastructure » Unix » need to shutdown/startup DB after increasing number of CPU ?
need to shutdown/startup DB after increasing number of CPU ? [message #98038] Tue, 09 December 2003 20:58 Go to next message
Mat
Hi there,

Do I need to shutdown and startup my database after installing new CPUs to make Oracle use all the CPUs ?
We've got 6 CPUs and we would like to add 6 CPUs more, do we need to restart our Oracle database for Oracle Server to use the 12 CPUs ?

Thanks !
Re: need to shutdown/startup DB after increasing number of CPU ? [message #98041 is a reply to message #98038] Mon, 15 December 2003 03:20 Go to previous message
Frank Naude
Hi,

My guess is that Oracle will immediate start using all the available CPUs. Remember, it is the OS that schedules work and not the DB. Nevertheless, you may want to restart the DB to "refresh" the CPU_COUNT initialisation parameter. This parameter is used for optimising workload and tuning memory structures.

You may also want to query the X$KVII view to see how many CPUs Oracle thinks it is using.

Best regards.

Frank
Previous Topic: where to get oracle for red hat liux
Next Topic: Log create of Oracle Backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:21:32 CDT 2024