Home » Infrastructure » Unix » Utility or script for renaming files on UNIX web server
Utility or script for renaming files on UNIX web server [message #97032] Fri, 26 October 2001 11:43 Go to next message
Rachel Everett
Greetings!

Does anyone know of a utility or a script for renaming files on a UNIX web server? I've seen several of these types of renaming utilities for Windows, but none for UNIX. I have 10,000 files that I need to rename in a several tier (deep) web site directory. I have the original names/new names and directory paths documented in MS Access tables. If I could find a tool that would automate this renaming process... even if I need to enter each file name to find and replace, I would be tres happy.

Any advice?

Thanks!!
~Rachel

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Utility or script for renaming files on UNIX web server [message #97036 is a reply to message #97032] Sun, 28 October 2001 08:20 Go to previous message
Hrudananda Baral
If you have full path of the old location and also that of the new location in a MsAccess table then it is really easy.
Assuming the Table has two field like
OldPath, NewPath
Go to the Query tab and create a new Query...
in the Query Design of the query use the string concatenation like this:
String: "mv " & [[OldPath]] & " " & [[NewPath]]

This will save create the script which could be used in the unix side.
Save the query and export to a flat file and then to unix server and run from the home directory or whereever suitable
Let me know if this way not working
Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous Topic: Re: Installing Oracle 8.1.7 on Redhat Linux 7.1
Next Topic: Re: problem : install Oracle 8.1.7 on Slackware 7.1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:21:30 CDT 2024