Home » Developer & Programmer » JDeveloper, Java & XML » Using XML to migrate data from one DB to another.
Using XML to migrate data from one DB to another. [message #91873] Mon, 09 June 2003 12:47
Leo J. Hart IV
Hello!

I'm guessing someone else has come across this problem:

We have an oracle database-driven reporting application. For simplicity's sake, let's say there are four instances of this application: Development (DEV), Integration (INT), Staging (STG), and Production (PRD). These are used to migrate application code (DDL changes, etc) from DEV->...->PRD using a SQL*Plus-based migration tool.

The main product of this database is a report definition. A report definition is made up of various tables linked by numerous foreign keys.

Our problem is this: users want to use the STG instance to preview new reports that are to be created in PRD. Because I can't guarantee the primary key/foreign key values in one DB instance will be the same as the next (we're using sequences), I can't simply export the DML for a given report definition entity (including all of it's foreign key relationships) and run it in PRD because I can't be sure that all of the entities being referred to exist/don't exist.

I'm guessing someone has come up with a solution using Oracle XML DB (an API with which I am familiar).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Leo
Previous Topic: Can't display my recordset
Next Topic: overflow of oracle.xml.sql.dml.OracleXMLSave.insertXML()
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:29:19 CDT 2024