Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Re: Eliminating client runtime using Oracle forms 6i
Re: Eliminating client runtime using Oracle forms 6i [message #79202] Wed, 15 May 2002 00:37 Go to next message
M. Ganesh Kumar
Hi RAM,

Thanks for your reply ...

What you have understood abt' my requirement is perfectly correct ... I don't want to put my application in the web ie., it will be used within the organisation consisting of 200 nodes, but the Oracle forms application should be accessible to users using web browser (ie., without loading any client runtime in client PCs).

Your reply seems to be surprising ... Is it possible to just load Oracle forms 6i server in windows NT (which is a centralized file server in our case) and connect to the Oracle appl. using web browser alone from client nodes ? Your reply is in contradiction to what I got from OTN web site.

Please confirm whether you have tried out the solution mentioned by you.

Best regards
Ganesh
Re: Eliminating client runtime using Oracle forms 6i [message #79205 is a reply to message #79202] Wed, 15 May 2002 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rama krishna
yes.
if u've forms server 6i installed u can directly run ur forms in the browser in local network.. we've worked on it in our office....

ok
bye
ram
Re: Eliminating client runtime using Oracle forms 6i [message #79207 is a reply to message #79202] Wed, 15 May 2002 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M. Ganesh Kumar
Hi Ram,

Thanks once again for your reply ...

- Can u tell me what are the configurations you have done (at the client end) to use web browser from client PCs to access the forms 6i application running in windows NT based central server in LAN/WAN ?

- Will there be any distortion in the layout (ie., look and feel) when it is viewed using web browser (compared to a normal GUI) ?

- Is there any need for apps. server software/web server software for achieving this or just Oracle 6i forms server is enough ?

Best regards
Ganesh
Re: Eliminating client runtime using Oracle forms 6i [message #79210 is a reply to message #79202] Wed, 15 May 2002 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Susan
We have successfully deployed some forms to the web. I developed a form based on an Oracle 9i schema using Forms Developer 6. I gave the .fmx (compiled) form to our DBA, and she used Oracle Forms Server to turn the .fmx into an applet which could be read on a browser by colleagues on our intranet.

Re the look and feel of the application in the browser, it definitely looks different from the Forms Runtime application. Functionality is the same and the general proportions of the form and the controls in it are the same. However there are superficial differences: buttons, scrollbars and text items in the browser are rounded rather than rectangular, and the form is a different color (blue-green instead of the original gray). The menus at the top of Oracle Forms Runtime (Action, Edit, Query, Block, Record, Field, Window and Help) are the same. The Toolbar at the top is also the same, representing Edit, Print, Navigation buttons, etc., but the icons look slightly different.

To summarize, in going from Forms Runtime to the web-enabled version of the application, the functionality and all of the controls, menus and toolbars on the form have been preserved. The appearance is slightly different, but this does not affect the performance of the application. Users can update, delete and insert records into the application via the browser and thereby change the schema tables.

Susan
Re: Eliminating client runtime using Oracle forms 6i [message #79212 is a reply to message #79202] Wed, 15 May 2002 05:15 Go to previous message
Susan
We have successfully deployed some forms to the web. I developed a form based on an Oracle 9i schema using Forms Developer 6. I gave the .fmx (compiled)
form to our DBA, and she used Oracle Forms Server to turn the .fmx into an applet which could be read on a browser by colleagues on our intranet.

"- Will there be any distortion in the layout (ie., look and feel) when it is viewed using web browser (compared to a normal GUI) ?"

Re the look and feel of the application in the browser, it definitely looks different from the Forms Runtime application. Functionality is the same and the general
proportions of the form and the controls in it are the same. However there are superficial differences: buttons, scrollbars and text items in the browser are rounded
rather than rectangular, and the form is a different color (blue-green instead of the original gray). The menus at the top of Oracle Forms Runtime (Action, Edit,
Query, Block, Record, Field, Window and Help) are the same. The Toolbar at the top is also the same, representing Edit, Print, Navigation buttons, etc., but the
icons look slightly different.

To summarize, in going from Forms Runtime to the web-enabled version of the application, the functionality and all of the controls, menus and toolbars on the form
have been preserved. The appearance is slightly different, but this does not affect the performance of the application. Users can update, delete and insert records
into the application via the browser and thereby change the schema tables.

"- Is there any need for apps. server software/web server software for
achieving this or just Oracle 6i forms server is enough ?"

I believe that all that we used was Oracle 9i, Forms Developer 6, Forms Server (not sure of the version) and we had to download the following onto the server PC: Jinitiator 1.1.8.16m (Java Virtual Machine). Earlier versions of Jinitiator failed. This is the file that turns the FMX file into an applet.

Susan
Previous Topic: D2K Installation Problem
Next Topic: Background colour of checkbox
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:22:03 CDT 2024