Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » "Do you want to save the changes" alert
"Do you want to save the changes" alert [message #79166] Wed, 08 May 2002 04:27 Go to next message
Susan
In my Forms Developer application, I have just a single form, which is based on four data blocks: PUBLICATION, LEGENDUNIT and LEGENDEDIT plus a control block. There is a master-detail relation between the database tables underlying the PUBLICATION and LEGENDUNIT blocks. The user can navigate from the LEGENDUNIT block to the LEGENDEDIT block using two kinds of pushbutton. The records thus opened in the second block are selected by global variables (which limit the record according to MAP_ID or according to both MAP_ID and LEGEND_Unit attributes). However (and this just started happening lately…I know the form was working properly about two weeks ago and I don't think I made any changes in the form since) now when either button is pushed in the LEGENDUNIT block and the LEGENDEDIT block opens up, I get an alert which asks "Do you want to save the changes you have made?" and offers the user a choice of Yes, No or Cancel buttons. It has an icon with a yellow triangle containing an exclamation point

The alert displays even if I have not made any changes in the form, and am just using the form to view existing records in the database. The alert pops up even before the when-validate-trigger fires on the second block, LEGENDEDIT. The alert is annoying, but doesn't affect the functionality built into the form.

I did not explicitly code this alert in the form so it must be generated using some built-in code in the application.

Where did this alert come from and how can (or should I?) suppress and remove this alert?

I talked to a colleague and he suggested that the problem was that I had set my Keyboard Navigate property on the two pushbuttons controlling block navigation to Yes, when they should be No. He said that this must be done or else when you click a button Forms tries to navigate to the button. If the button is on another block this means you are leaving the current block and must either save or undo your changes.

He was right about the settings. I had initially set them to Keyboard Navigate = Yes. I subsequently set the properties of the buttons to Keyboard Navigate = No, but the problem persists. I am still getting the alert popping up when I navigate between blocks.

Has anybody else had experience with this problem?

Susan.
Re: [message #79167 is a reply to message #79166] Wed, 08 May 2002 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Remash
Susan

When the button is pressed, add the following commands.
GO_BLOCK('XXX') where 'XXX' is the next block to go.
CLEAR_BLOCK(NO_VALIDATE);

Hope this will solve the problem.

Regards
Remash
Re: "Do you want to save the changes" alert [message #79168 is a reply to message #79166] Wed, 08 May 2002 06:49 Go to previous message
Susan
Remash had advised that I add CLEAR_BLOCK(NO_VALIDATE) below my GO_BLOCK statement in my two WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED triggers.

I followed his advice and my application now runs like a charm.

Thanks very much, Remash. You saved me a morning of aggravation!

Susan.
Previous Topic: sql/reports
Next Topic: Linking oracle with mail server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 03:48:24 CDT 2024