Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Oracle Installation error: TNS adapter error
Oracle Installation error: TNS adapter error [message #6686] Thu, 01 May 2003 23:16 Go to next message
sachin kumar gupta
Hi,
After installing Oracle 8i, invoking SQL& Plus is giving TNS adapter error.
Any help highly appreciated.

Sachin
Re: Oracle Installation error: TNS adapter error [message #6690 is a reply to message #6686] Fri, 02 May 2003 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Naveen
Hi Sachin,

Did you configure your listener and net service name. if you still get the error after configuring let me know.

Thank you.

Naveen.
Re: Oracle Installation error: TNS adapter error [message #6691 is a reply to message #6690] Fri, 02 May 2003 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sachin kumar gupta
Hi,
Thanx 4 reply!!
Yea I gave the net service name, but I didn't configured listener. Let me know the steps 4 configuring listener, if possible after installation.

Sachin
Re: Oracle Installation error: TNS adapter error [message #6696 is a reply to message #6691] Fri, 02 May 2003 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Naveen
Usually a Listener is configured when you install Oracle 8i. If it has not configured you need to create it. If you have net8 assistant use it to create a listener.
Follow these steps:

1> Open Net8 assistant.
2>Click on Listeners and click Edit->Create.
3>Enter a listener name and click OK.
3>Select listening locations from the pop-down menu.
4>Click on add address
5>Give the Host name(On which oracle is installed), port number(usually 1521).
6>select Database services and click add database.
7>Specify database name, oracle home(ora81) and sid(instance name).
8> Save network configuration.
Hope this helps. If you need assistance mail me.

Bye...Naveen.
Again problem, plzz help [message #6703 is a reply to message #6696] Fri, 02 May 2003 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sachin kumar gupta
Hi Naveen,

I configured the Listener as u told. Still I m unable to open SQL*Plus.

This is error description:

12560, 00000, "TNS:protocol adapter error"
// *Cause: A generic protocol adapter error occurred.
// *Action: Check addresses used for proper protocol specification. Before
// reporting this error, look at the error stack and check for lower level
// transport errors.For further details, turn on tracing and reexecute the
// operation. Turn off tracing when the operation is complete.

Also, then again I reconfigured the net service name by giving it name 'netbase' & specifying it to use protocol IPC(for local database in PC). But while testing it is giving following error:

Initializing first test to use userid: scott, password: tiger
Attempting to connect using userid: scott
The test did not succeed.
ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

There may be an error in the fields entered,
or the server may not be ready for a connection.

So, kindly suggest me if i m making some mistake in configuring net service. I m using Oracle 8i on standalone PC.

Sachin
Re: Again problem, plzz help [message #6707 is a reply to message #6703] Fri, 02 May 2003 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Naveen
Hi,

Did you start the listener service after you have configured a new listener. If it still does not work mail your dbname and instance name. I'll send you a listener file and tnsnames.ora file.try using them. what is your os. and oracle version.

---Naveen.
Re:Re: Again problem, plzz help [message #6751 is a reply to message #6707] Mon, 05 May 2003 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sachin kumar gupta
Hi Naveen,
I have Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition which contains the product Oracle 8i Client.
It is written in documentation that Oracle 8i Enterprise edition can only be installed on Windows NT.
While I was installing it on Windows 98, since it's product list contain Client version.
Am I doing right?? Pls. help
Re:Re: Again problem, plzz help [message #6754 is a reply to message #6751] Mon, 05 May 2003 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Naveen
Hi Sachin,

I didn't get what you were trying to do. I thought you said you have installed oracle 8i on NT and you are not able to connect. Or am i lost some where. Can you provide with a list of things you have done(or doing) and where you are facing a problem. I would surely help if i get moe info.

Regards--Naveen.
Re:Re: Again problem, plzz help [message #6755 is a reply to message #6754] Mon, 05 May 2003 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sachin kumar gupta
Firstly,
I have installed the Oracle 8i Client which is compatible to Windows 98 from the product list of Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition CD which supports only Win NT.
Secondly,
I want to use it for my desktop PC only, so I gave protocol IPC, with key ORCL. But somewhere giving directory service name, things go went wrong & testing gives TNS Adpater error. I am giving directory service name as the home directory ora81.
Kindly let me know the configuration for single desktop & if I am wrong installing the corresponding product.

sachin
Re:Re: Again problem, plzz help [message #6761 is a reply to message #6755] Mon, 05 May 2003 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Naveen
Hi Sachin,

As far as i know you cannot install oracle 8i enterprise edition on win98 because it(win 98) is not a server. Check your start menu. You will have only client tools installed like sql*plus, net8 client, net8 assistant etc. Since there is no database at all you cannot connect. Hope i am not wrong. You can do one more think. Open windows explorer. check wheteher folder with this hierarch has been created.

Oracle---admin
ora81
oradata. If these are not there, then there is not database at all. You need to install win98 personal edition to work on. Let me know whether i am right or worng. See even i am starting guy like you. Hope some experts reading this might jumpin to help us. Again let me know what happened.

Regards----Naveen
Re: Oracle Installation error: TNS adapter error [message #136049 is a reply to message #6686] Mon, 05 September 2005 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
imran_92

Hi,

I am a new member. Eventually I had the same problem after installing Oracle SAP server 8.0.1. I had a small query... How do you comment statements in a ora file.

e.g.
goto your ORACLE_HOME/network/admin.
EDIT your sqlnet.ora and comment all entries.
your ORACLE_HOME is the directory u have installed oracle .
c:oracleora92
c:oracleora92networkadmin

The above solution is provided in one of the faqs here.

Thanks in advance,

Imran
Re: Oracle Installation error: TNS adapter error [message #136078 is a reply to message #136049] Tue, 06 September 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
Put an hash "#" symbol at the beginning of statement

eg. sqlnet.ora

# SQLNET.ORA Network Configuration File: c:\oracle9i\network\admin\sqlnet.ora
# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

#SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

#NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, ONAMES, HOSTNAME)

regds
Girish
Re: Oracle Installation error: TNS adapter error [message #156008 is a reply to message #136049] Fri, 20 January 2006 04:01 Go to previous message
link2kavi
Hi Imran,

I tried ur advice for TNS adapter Error.
It resolved my Problem.
I commented all the lines in SQLNET.ORA . after that i can able to login in to PL/SQL Developer.
Thanks a lot IMRAN.

Regards,
Kavitha.S
INDIA.
Previous Topic: 0ra-01033 - Oracle initialization shutdown process
Next Topic: using dbms_ldap to unlock user accounts in Oracle Internet Directory
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:23:38 CDT 2024