Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name [message #66109] Mon, 19 November 2001 00:53 Go to next message
Adam Morriss
"TNS: could not resolve service name" constantly appears. I have used the Net8 Config Assistant to create the connection, and all appears fine. It tests ok using the Net8 Assistant. Importing the same information into the DBA Studio, and I'm not able to connect. SQLPlus comes back with the same error. If I connect using 'username/password@service_name' it fails, but 'username/password' works.
Both the client and server are installed on the local machine - a setup that has never caused me a problem before.

I have created a net service name on another Client machine, and this connects - DBA Studio, Net8 Assistant, etc... without problem.

I'm using 8.1.7 Server and Client utilities. The failure occurred with an old 'test' database. I've created a new DB, and am seeing the same problems.

Anyone got any clues?!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name [message #66110 is a reply to message #66109] Mon, 19 November 2001 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam Morriss
Manually added item to SQLNET.ORA file. All appears to be operational.
original:
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (ONAMES, HOSTNAME)

new:
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, ONAMES, HOSTNAME)

Re: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name [message #66119 is a reply to message #66109] Wed, 28 November 2001 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.SREENIVASAN
SIR,

EDIT THE SQLNET.ORA FILE
FOR THE FOLLOWING PARAMETER

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= NONE

EXECUTE THE FOLLOWING COMMAND USING THE
LSNRCTL80.EXE OR LSNRCTL.EXE FILE

C:ORANTBIN>LSNRCTL80
THEN YOU GET PROPMT LIKE

LSNRCTL>
THEN START THE LISTENER PROCESS

LSNRCTL>START

IF IT IS ALREADY STARTED,THEN GIVE THE COMMAND

LSNTRCL>STATUS

IF THE REPLY IS GOOD,THEN GO TO THE TNSNAMES.ORA FILE FOR THE HOST STRING

THEN YOU CONNECT WITH THE DATABASE LIKE
USERNAME/PASSWORD@HOST STRING

IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT,MAIL TO ME.

K.SREENIVASAN
PLEASE

Re: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name [message #66319 is a reply to message #66109] Fri, 29 March 2002 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adil
i can not connect to oracle.it says ora-12154 :tns
how can i use net8 configuration to connect.

thank you
ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name [message #66740 is a reply to message #66119] Sat, 30 November 2002 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Justin Solomon S J
Hi ,

I have tried all the instructions given below even then I am not able to login to the server. How do i proceed?

C:oracleora81bin>LSNRCTL.EXE

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on 30-NOV-2002 17:30:12

(c) Copyright 1998 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Welcome to LSNRCTL, type "help" for information.

LSNRCTL> start
TNS-01106: Listener using listener name LISTENER has already been started
LSNRCTL> status
Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=SOLOMON)(PORT=1521)))
STATUS of the LISTENER
------------------------
Alias LISTENER
Version TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.7.0.0 - Production
Start Date 30-NOV-2002 17:12:26
Uptime 0 days 0 hr. 18 min. 0 sec
Trace Level off
Security OFF
SNMP OFF
Listener Parameter File C:oracleora81networkadminlistener.ora
Listener Log File C:oracleora81networkloglistener.log
Services Summary...
PLSExtProc has 1 service handler(s)
electra has 1 service handler(s)
electra has 2 service handler(s)
The command completed successfully
LSNRCTL>
Re: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name [message #67656 is a reply to message #66119] Sun, 12 December 2004 21:51 Go to previous message
thenmozhi
i have been installing d2k in a p4 m/c with win2000.i had tried to configure the net8 easy config.i had the message 'jre.exe has generated errors'.on the net i got a suggestion to change the rename the file symcjit.dll to .old.
then i got the screen .but on putting the database sidd and the hostnames i was not able to connect to the db.so i reinstalled the d2k.now on trying to configure net8 easyconfig,the hourglass
symbol comes and goes.but the screen does not come and i get no error message at all.how to solve this.
Previous Topic: configuring the net8 easy config
Next Topic: How I can Connect isqlplus from client machine
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 16:26:31 CDT 2024