Home » RDBMS Server » Security » SYS password
SYS password [message #64550] Mon, 07 February 2005 13:31 Go to next message
Kapil
I forgot sys and system passwords and i am running oracle 9i db server. and all my oracle software if owned by oracle:oinstall and conn / as sysdba doesn't work, i heard that to make it "conn / as sysdba" i would have to change software ownership to oracle:dba and relink. but i am not quite sure about this process if anyone can help me with steps how to do this i would really appreciate it.
Thank you very much
Re: SYS password [message #64553 is a reply to message #64550] Mon, 07 February 2005 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

I don't think you would need to relink the software at all. Just create a "dba" group on your systems and assign it to your "oracle" account. You can still keep "oinstall" as primary or secondary group.

Try it and let us know how it goes.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: SYS password [message #64560 is a reply to message #64553] Tue, 08 February 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kapil
i did groups at unix prompt and i see oracle is already there in oinstall and dba, it first displayed oinstall and then dba. How do i change dba as the primary group id? and also i know a user who is assigned only dba group id and he cannot do "conn / as sysdba"
i have a password file under $oracle_home/dbs. is there any way that i could change the password in that orapwd utility? please help me with this
thanks a lot
Re: SYS password [message #64561 is a reply to message #64553] Tue, 08 February 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kapil
I just logged in as system and was able to do
alter user SYS identified by newpass123; but couldn't shutdown the database as system so i tried log in as "sys as sysdba" with new password that i altered and couldn't log in sys. Whats going on here I have no clue. any help is appreciated. yes i tried as sysoper but not letting me in

Thanks
Re: SYS password [message #64579 is a reply to message #64553] Thu, 10 February 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sanjay
Did you assign the "dba" group to "oracle" login id ?

If so, login as "oracle" and type "dbshut" at the prompt. This will shut down ALL the databases in the server (as defined in /etc/oratab).

% dbshut

FYI, similarly there is "dbstart" also.
Re: SYS password [message #64605 is a reply to message #64560] Sun, 13 February 2005 19:59 Go to previous message
Frank Naude
Hi,

Just because you belong to a group does not mean you
have all the permissions of that group. Use the
"newgrp dba" command to change the user's current
login group to "dba".

Best regards.

Frank
Previous Topic: Privilege require - creation of user
Next Topic: user roles
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:51:47 CDT 2024