Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Using OCI storage for BLOBs
Using OCI storage for BLOBs [message #686529] Tue, 04 October 2022 15:51 Go to next message
joy_division
I started a new job and they use Oracle Cloud for their databases. They are just implementing putting PDF files into folders in an OCI bucket and having references in a table column to the location via an URL. I am new to the OCI and cloud databases, but it seems to me inefficient at best and possibly problematic. In a non-cloud DB storing the PDF files outside the database was not necessarily a problem, but they were on the same server as the DB. This whole cloud thing scares me.
Am I barking up the wrong tree, because this page says the buckets are for storing backups and unstructured data like logs. It doesn't mention anything about files that the database needs access to. Sure, it can access them, but it seems wrong to me. I feel like a newbie.

https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/GSG/Tasks/addingbuckets.htm#:~:text=Uploading%20Files%20to%20a%20Bucket,See%20Developer%20 Tools%20and%20Resources.
Re: Using OCI storage for BLOBs [message #686540 is a reply to message #686529] Wed, 05 October 2022 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I've had to go through the process of certification for OCI. After three exams I am now an "OCI Certified Professional Architect" or some such. Doing all the studying was very useful and if you have access to the Oracle Uni training for free (as I did), then do it.
wrt the specifics of storing these PDFs in the Object Store, I wouldn't worry about performance. The access will (or should) be through the VCN's Service Gateway, and I would hope that would be as fast as reading it from block storage: Similar to a BFILE LOB.
In the 21st century, everyone is being pushed towards non-proprietary techniques, like getting to remote data through an HTTP REST Service rather than a database link. Probably your application is doing just that. Enjoy.
Re: Using OCI storage for BLOBs [message #686543 is a reply to message #686540] Thu, 06 October 2022 09:00 Go to previous message
joy_division
Thanks John, you're always so helpful.
I know I have some Oracle University training for free. I don't know if there are different tiers, but I will check.
Previous Topic: patches and cve cyse
Next Topic: XE ORA-12954: The request exceeds the maximum allowed database size of 12 GB
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:21:05 CDT 2024