Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Connecting Client Application After DB Password Change Fails (10g, 11g, Windows Server 2008 R2)
Connecting Client Application After DB Password Change Fails [message #654989] Thu, 18 August 2016 05:26 Go to next message
gndwiga
Hi guys,

I want to change the password for the database user that client my application connects through. Changing the password is not a problem though, it is the application that fails to initialize after. I have made the necessary changes on Net Configuration Assistant. Local Net Service Name Configuration completes with the new credentials without any errors. The listener seems to be working well too. I have restarted the Oracle service after and the listener service as well but still.

If you could shed any insight, I will appreciate.
Re: Connecting Client Application After DB Password Change Fails [message #654990 is a reply to message #654989] Thu, 18 August 2016 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Unless you show us, the problem seems to be in the application itself and not an Oracle problem.

Re: Connecting Client Application After DB Password Change Fails [message #654998 is a reply to message #654989] Thu, 18 August 2016 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
gndwiga wrote on Thu, 18 August 2016 05:26
Hi guys,

I want to change the password for the database user that client my application connects through. Changing the password is not a problem though, it is the application that fails to initialize after. I have made the necessary changes on Net Configuration Assistant. Local Net Service Name Configuration completes with the new credentials without any errors. The listener seems to be working well too. I have restarted the Oracle service after and the listener service as well but still.

If you could shed any insight, I will appreciate.
What "necessary changes" are in the "net configuration assistant"? Nothing about the network knows or cares about passwords. It is your application that has to know the proper password that it needs to connect. You have to make the change in whatever the application uses to store the connection credentials.
Re: Connecting Client Application After DB Password Change Fails [message #655031 is a reply to message #654998] Fri, 19 August 2016 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
In one place I worked I encountered a HR system where the password was hard-coded into the application so we couldn't change the schema password at all! Shocked
Re: Connecting Client Application After DB Password Change Fails [message #655034 is a reply to message #654998] Fri, 19 August 2016 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gndwiga
Thanks guys. It indeed was the application. Managed to implement the right encryption and it work. Again, thank you very much.
Re: Connecting Client Application After DB Password Change Fails [message #655038 is a reply to message #655031] Fri, 19 August 2016 06:34 Go to previous message
EdStevens
gazzag wrote on Fri, 19 August 2016 02:59
In one place I worked I encountered a HR system where the password was hard-coded into the application so we couldn't change the schema password at all! Shocked
aka "Design Fail"
Previous Topic: ORA-12224: TNS: no listener
Next Topic: Z/OS Compatibility
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:17:15 CDT 2024