Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Merging BLOB (Oracle 11GR2, Windows Server 2008 R2)
Merging BLOB [message #653651] Wed, 13 July 2016 04:23 Go to next message
Jaffat1982
Hi there

I'm currently writing a procedure to extract files stored in a BLOB column from our database. Using a combination of DBMS_LOB and UTL_FILE I have managed to successfully extract the documents.

Unfortunately, our software provider decided that the best way to store multiple page documents (be they .doc, .tif, .pdf) was to have each page in a separate entry on the table with the BLOB column.
The result of this is that I can extract them but am left with 10 separate documents for a 10 page tiff file for example. I have been able to assign my own filename to the output files, so have kept them constant for each file (apart from page number which I've appended to the end), which makes separating them easier, but I had hoped there would be a way of combining them into single files.
It's probably best if I describe my problem by example.

The original 5-page document, test.tif, was stored in the database in 5 separate BLOB rows.

Using my current procedure I am left with:

test-1.tif 5kb
test-2.tif 5kb
test-3.tif 5kb
test-4.tif 5kb
test-5.tif 5kb

but what I want to try and produce is the original 5-page tiff file. Here is the procedure I use to extract the BLOB entry:

create or replace 
PROCEDURE
 write_blob_to_file ( p_filename IN NUMBER,p_outfile IN VARCHAR2,p_path IN VARCHAR2) 
       IS
      v_blob      BLOB;
      blob_length INTEGER;
      out_file    UTL_FILE.FILE_TYPE;
      v_buffer    RAW(32767);
      chunk_size  BINARY_INTEGER := 32767;
      blob_position INTEGER := 1;
      vErrMsg     VARCHAR2(2000);
      sqlstr VARCHAR2(1000);
      chkval NUMBER;
BEGIN
--If directory object exists already, drop it.
   SELECT count(*) 
   INTO chkval 
   FROM all_objects 
   WHERE object_type = 'DIRECTORY' 
   AND  object_name = 'BLOBTEMP';

IF chkval > 0 
   THEN
   sqlstr := 'drop directory BLOBTEMP';
   EXECUTE IMMEDIATE sqlstr;
 END IF;

-- Retrieve the BLOB for reading
    BEGIN
       SELECT data 
       INTO v_blob
       FROM page_data
       WHERE ID = p_filename;
   EXCEPTION WHEN OTHERS THEN 
      vErrMsg := 'No data found';
   END;

-- Retrieve the SIZE of the BLOB 
   blob_length := DBMS_LOB.GETLENGTH(v_blob);

--Create directory object
   sqlstr := 'create directory BLOBTEMP as '''||p_path||'''';

-- Open a handle to the output file 
   out_file := UTL_FILE.FOPEN('BLOBTEMP',p_outfile, 'wb', chunk_size);

-- Write the BLOB to the file in chunks 
   WHILE blob_position <= blob_length 
      LOOP
           IF ( ( blob_position + chunk_size - 1 ) > blob_length ) 
           THEN
              chunk_size := blob_length - blob_position + 1;
           END IF;

DBMS_LOB.READ(v_blob, chunk_size, blob_position, v_buffer );

UTL_FILE.PUT_RAW ( out_file, v_buffer, TRUE);
         blob_position := blob_position + chunk_size;      
      END LOOP;

--Close file handle
UTL_FILE.FCLOSE(out_file);

--Drop directory object
sqlstr := 'drop directory BLOBTEMP';

--Output finished message for testing
--DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('finished write');

EXCEPTION
   WHEN OTHERS
   THEN

--Close file handle to allow deletion
UTL_FILE.FCLOSE(out_file);

--Return error message and variables
   --DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(p_filename||', '||p_outfile||', '||p_path||', '||vErrMsg);

--Return error message and line
   DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE ( 'WBTF Error raised: '|| DBMS_UTILITY.FORMAT_ERROR_BACKTRACE || ' - '||sqlerrm); 

END;

I have tried:

Using UTL_FILE.FOPEN in append 'a' mode, in append-byte 'ab' mode, inserting a page break in the file in both modes.

Append or append-byte have the same result - the output file is the correct size (25kb) but only has a single page, a copy of test-1.tif.

I have tried to insert the page break using both
UTL_FILE.PUT(out_file,chr(12))
and
UTL_FILE.PUTF(out_file,'%s\n'||chr(12))

I have also tried to extract them as individual pages then just loop through the resulting output files with IrFanView x64 and merge them but this is horrendously slow
- we are talking 35 million+ pages in 7 million+ distinct documents all stored in 740,000 folders, so looping through them takes a loooong time; I would much rather combine them at the point of extraction.

Am I missing something obvious?

DB Version: Oracle 11.2.0.4
Using: SQL Developer 3.2.20.09
SQL Plus

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

Re: Merging BLOB [message #653657 is a reply to message #653651] Wed, 13 July 2016 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
I'd love to know how exactly they're being split in the first place.
Binary files aren't really designed to be treated that way.
Re: Merging BLOB [message #653658 is a reply to message #653657] Wed, 13 July 2016 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jaffat1982
Unfortunately I have no idea - I've been asked to solve the problem but don't have much info about what caused it in the first place! Mad
Re: Merging BLOB [message #653659 is a reply to message #653658] Wed, 13 July 2016 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
I'd say that you should tell whoever gave you the problem that that information is a basic necessity.
Re: Merging BLOB [message #653679 is a reply to message #653659] Thu, 14 July 2016 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jaffat1982
I would love to, but I think it's more a case of inability rather than unwillingness to tell me - I think whoever stored them that way has left our provider but they don't want to admit it.
Re: Merging BLOB [message #653680 is a reply to message #653679] Thu, 14 July 2016 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
The problem is that you can nut just append the binary data, but you have to re-create a correct multi-page TIFF from single-Page TIFFs.

Which is a more complex process than just binary joining them with ASCII page breaks in between. You could have a look at ImageMagick, and see if you can somehow add that to the export process.
Re: Merging BLOB [message #653816 is a reply to message #653651] Tue, 19 July 2016 08:00 Go to previous message
Jaffat1982
Didn't think there was a way round it, but thought I'd check.

I'm looking into ImageMagick just now, thanks for the help.

Cheers

Previous Topic: sorting order need to be done when the columns in the order by are given in input parameter
Next Topic: Collection Last Record
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 07:05:17 CDT 2024