Home » Developer & Programmer » Application Express, ORDS & MOD_PLSQL » Need architecture document (APEX)
Need architecture document [message #633298] Sat, 14 February 2015 17:36 Go to next message
snowshine578
hello - we are in the process of building a web page/website using Oracle APEX for our customers (external) to collect data from them and I need some help describing the process. I searched for Oracle APEX docs but couldn't find any diagram I can use to get started. i have an ASP.NET background and i am sorry if this is a silly question. can someone please help with a pppt doc or something I can use? thanks in advance for your help with this folks.

[Updated on: Sat, 14 February 2015 17:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Need architecture document [message #633302 is a reply to message #633298] Sat, 14 February 2015 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/HTMDB/toc.htm
Re: Need architecture document [message #633303 is a reply to message #633302] Sat, 14 February 2015 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
snowshine578
I am looking for something more visual. All i am finding is the following:
Database Server -> Oracle HTTP Server -> Client.
Is that it? I am assuming the Oracle HTTP server is the application server. is there a ppt document etc I can refer to instead of going through a 500 page article?
Re: Need architecture document [message #633304 is a reply to message #633303] Sun, 15 February 2015 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Well
Quote:
i am sorry if this is a silly question.
Well, be sorry Smile APEX is a serious development tool, not something a Windows hacker can learn in half an hour.
You might find this tutorial I recorded a while back helpful,
APEX listening architecture

Re: Need architecture document [message #633305 is a reply to message #633304] Sun, 15 February 2015 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
How come that you, with ASP .NET background, have to develop a solution using completely different tool (i.e. Oracle Apex)? I, somehow, doubt that you chose Apex. Does your boss (as well as your customer) know that you aren't really capable of doing that job in a reasonable amount of time? Instead of setting focus to the business requirement, first you have to learn how to use Apex. If your (PL/)SQL skills are poor, well, poor you, poor application and poor & unhappy customer are on the horizon.
Re: Need architecture document [message #633311 is a reply to message #633305] Sun, 15 February 2015 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
snowshine578
thanks for the discouragement guys, it appears you guys are getting personal here while this is a forum led by volunteers. i suggest you to not answer if you don't find the question appropriate. i am not building an app using APEX, i am just trying to put the architecture together as i have been told. i agree i am not the best person to do it, but i am asked to produce a very high level diagram and am trying to seek some help.
Re: Need architecture document [message #633312 is a reply to message #633311] Sun, 15 February 2015 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
So was the tutorial I suggested any help? You asked for something "visual". That was it: an exposition with demonstrations of the listening architecture. Have you decided whether to use the Embedded PL/SQL Gateway, or the Apache Oracle HTTP Server, or the APEX Listener (now known as ORDS) deployed to a Java continer?
I fail to see how anyone could have given you a better answer. Or were you expecting someone to draw your diagram for you? Perhaps that is customary for Microsoft people, but in the Oracle world we expect to do some work ourselves.

[Updated on: Sun, 15 February 2015 09:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Need architecture document [message #633314 is a reply to message #633311] Sun, 15 February 2015 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
with Free Advice, sometimes you get what you paid for it.

If you are ever dissatisfied with the tone, tenor, completeness, correctness, or timeliness of any response,
please submit your request for a prompt & full refund to /dev/null

Re: Need architecture document [message #633322 is a reply to message #633311] Mon, 16 February 2015 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
snowshine578@yahoo.com

it appears you guys are getting personal here

On the contrary, it is YOU who takes it personal, i.e. can't accept the fact that someone (like me) told you that you - maybe - aren't the best choice to do that job.

As you want to visualize the process, here you go:

Data ---> Apex page (displayed in a web browser) ---> Listener ---> Database

Apart from what's already been said: in the first message, you wrote that you need to "collect data". What kind of data? How many data, in what time intervals? Will someone manually type information, or will you accept (CSV) files and - hopefully - perform automated load? Because, once you come to that point, Apex offers different page types, where "Forms" or "Data Loading" might be what you are looking for.
Re: Need architecture document [message #633345 is a reply to message #633322] Mon, 16 February 2015 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
snowshine578
i agree i am not the best to do this job and i am not doing it.

i am assuming that the listener as web server? my task is to just put a little diagram together and I'll be done (sometimes you get asked for what you are not best at, even if you tell them so). i also agree that i am not as smart as you guys are.
Re: Need architecture document [message #633351 is a reply to message #633345] Tue, 17 February 2015 00:06 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Your last sentence is wrong (again) ...
Previous Topic: ANONYMOUS schema
Next Topic: Export Data From Apex 4.0 to 4.2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:23:06 CDT 2024