Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » do I need access to db server machine login ? (oracle 11g)
do I need access to db server machine login ? [message #552986] Mon, 30 April 2012 12:33 Go to next message
miroconnect@yahoo.com
I have a question with database adminstration , we are planning to use amazon cloud database , this database does not allow us to login to server machine , unfortunately amazon dont provide ssh to this machine , in general for doing any of adminstration task on the database will there be need to log into the machine ? we can always log in through toad or any other sql clinet but we cannot do ssh to server , please advice me in general can this limitation effct adminstration ?

Re: do I need access to db server machine login ? [message #552987 is a reply to message #552986] Mon, 30 April 2012 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
please advice me in general can this limitation effct adminstration ?

I don't understand the question. maybe some words (in addition to some letters) are missing.

Regards
Michel
Re: do I need access to db server machine login ? [message #552988 is a reply to message #552986] Mon, 30 April 2012 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Please read and follow the forum guidelines, to enable us to help you:

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/

I would NEVER run a production application using any such database due to security vulnerabilities.
Re: do I need access to db server machine login ? [message #552990 is a reply to message #552987] Mon, 30 April 2012 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
miroconnect@yahoo.com
please advice me in general can this limitation (cannot do ssh to db server)effect database administration ?

I am not a dba , my boss wants to move to amazon cloud , so we have to , because amazon lack of ssh connection to db server can this cause issues for us over time ?

Re: do I need access to db server machine login ? [message #552991 is a reply to message #552990] Mon, 30 April 2012 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
anything you can do to or with the DB in the cloud, then I can do the same to your DB;
since the DB does not know or care about the client connecting to it.
Re: do I need access to db server machine login ? [message #552995 is a reply to message #552991] Mon, 30 April 2012 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
The obvious question is what do amazon do for you.
Do they provide any form of DBA service or do you have to do everything yourself.
Re: do I need access to db server machine login ? [message #553003 is a reply to message #552995] Mon, 30 April 2012 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
cookiemonster wrote on Mon, 30 April 2012 15:03
The obvious question is what do amazon do for you.
Do they provide any form of DBA service or do you have to do everything yourself.

I do not know anything about amazon cloud database, and my statements might be ignorant, but what if there is a disk crash and the database needs to be restored? Who is responsible for fixing the disks, putting a backup in place so that you can apply logs? What if you wanted RAC? What if you needed to look at log files? What if you needed to do physical things on the server?

It all comes down to (ignoring that it is amazon cloud), how would you be able to administer a database if the database server was not at you location and you were not allowed access to it?
Re: do I need access to db server machine login ? [message #553009 is a reply to message #553003] Mon, 30 April 2012 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
That was the sort of thing I was getting at with my question. No idea what the answer is in this case, but amazon should be saying what they do and don't cover.
Re: do I need access to db server machine login ? [message #553053 is a reply to message #553009] Tue, 01 May 2012 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
Yeah, I was just throwing out some questions for OP to think about.
Re: do I need access to db server machine login ? [message #553079 is a reply to message #552986] Tue, 01 May 2012 11:56 Go to previous message
John Watson
@microconnect, I don't understand the problem: you can have ssh connections to an Amazon EC2 machine. You need to authenticate by passing a key, not a password. I do it with putty no problem.

@the_rest_of_you, Amazon cloud servers are pretty damn good. Cheap and reliable. One of our company websites has been running on them for a year now, one machine for the database another for the web access. You do all the admin yourself, we just use rman for backups. It's good technology, based on Xen. The way IP addresses work does take a bit of getting used to, though.
I'm actually not sure that there is really much point in buying your own mid-range hardware any more.
Previous Topic: Problems with Oracle XE on win xp
Next Topic: information about maximum number of connection of a particular user
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 17:31:53 CDT 2024