Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » 11g Active Database Duplication (Oracle, 11g, Windows Server 2008)
11g Active Database Duplication [message #529769] Wed, 02 November 2011 16:16 Go to next message
segnosaur
Hi there.

I'm trying to set up active database duplication between 2 Oracle 11g servers.

Both servers were set up with identical configurations (same directory structures, file systems, SIDs, and sys passwords.) Both oracle instances were created at the time of software installation.

Here is how things are configured:
- Version: Ora11gR2
- Oracle service name: orcl
- File system: ASM

I've done some research and found several sources giving instructions on how to set up active database duplication (including a blog engry by rajabaskar on this site), but each site seems to have different details.

So, here's what I have so far:

- Set up entries in each TNSNames file... each has an entry 'src' and 'dst' (for source and destination)

- A new listener has been added on the source machine

- on the destination machine, run the 'oradm' to create a new SID. However, is this really necessary? Since the service names are already the same

- I'm also supposed to create a password file on the destination machine using orapwd. Again, is this necessary, if I'm using the same passwords on both machines?

Am I on the right track? Should I have created an actual database on the destination machine or should I have started with just the software installed?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Re: 11g Active Database Duplication [message #530175 is a reply to message #529769] Sat, 05 November 2011 21:18 Go to previous message
babuknb

>>Should I have created an actual database on the destination machine or should I have started with just the software installed?

You should need oracle software in your destination box if you want perform the RMAN
Previous Topic: alter database open; ORA-01092
Next Topic: rman error ORA-19504
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:49:51 CDT 2024