Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Dataguard Fail back (11.2.0.1)
Dataguard Fail back [message #529496] Tue, 01 November 2011 09:19 Go to next message
juniorpeardba
Hi hopefully a simple question, so here goes

Last week we had to fail over our running env to the standby which is still in operation, as there was a hardware error on one of the ASM disks (FRA)

That problem has now been solved, however we have now been up and running for a week now in the standby environment. I am trying to simplify a method to fail-back to our primary and have things running as they were and should be. After reading a few articles on Dataguard there seems to be numerous methods that I could implement.

1. rman duplicate target database
2. Physical standby Switchover
3. Physical Standby Failover

I am trying to find the easiest with the least amount of downtime, that involves minimum risk.

If you can provide an article or a step-by-step approach that would be most appreciated.

regards

jnrpeardba
Re: Dataguard Fail back [message #529509 is a reply to message #529496] Tue, 01 November 2011 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Hi, man - if you did a failover (rather than a switchover) then your only option is (1), unless you have flashback enabled. Flashback will let you re-instate the old primary as a standby, so you can synchronize them and then use (2).
Re: Dataguard Fail back [message #529541 is a reply to message #529509] Tue, 01 November 2011 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
juniorpeardba
Hello, we performed a failover rather than a switchover - so I take it I only have option 1 available?
What happens to the SID & DB Name when I perform a backup of the current Primary database?
Will I at some point need to change that? Or is this all obsolete when I perform an RMAN duplicate?
When do I apply the archive logs to bring both databases in synch? Do you have a document or a step by step approach of what is required?

Many thanks
Re: Dataguard Fail back [message #530200 is a reply to message #529541] Sun, 06 November 2011 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

>> we performed a failover rather than a switchover - so I take it I only have option 1 available?

Yes. John already told you.

>>What happens to the SID & DB Name when I perform a backup of the current Primary database?

Nothing will happen in SID & DB name

>>Will I at some point need to change that? Or is this all obsolete when I perform an RMAN duplicate?

You should go by swith-over & failover only. It;s not obsolete

>hen do I apply the archive logs to bring both databases in synch

What do you mean by both database? you're able to apply only in DR database not in primary

>>o you have a document or a step by step approach of what is required?

Why not, Did you tried in oracle docs? If not let us know

Thanks
\

Re: Dataguard Fail back [message #551181 is a reply to message #530200] Mon, 16 April 2012 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazge_mitab

Hi
I performed switchover between primary and standby database, and again I want to switchover from old standby to old primary database and I am getting this error can any one help to solve this error???

SQL> alter database commit to switchover to physical primary;
alter database commit to switchover to physical primary
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-16087: Switchover requires standby or current control file.
Re: Dataguard Fail back [message #551184 is a reply to message #551181] Mon, 16 April 2012 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Welcome to the forum. Please read our OraFAQ Forum Guide and How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read

You must copy/paste the SQL*Plus session, the entire session, where you ran this command. Showte full sequence of events. Be sure to format it with tags. It looks as though you did not complete the first switchover properly.

Re: Dataguard Fail back [message #551190 is a reply to message #551181] Mon, 16 April 2012 03:13 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
ORA-16087: graceful switchover requires standby or current control file
 *Cause:  An attempt was made to perform a graceful switchover operation
          using a backup or clone control file.
 *Action: Convert the backup control file into a current control file prior
          to attempting a graceful switchover operation. A clone control file
          cannot be used for a graceful switchover operation.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: standby database
Next Topic: How to convert the primary control file for standby ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:43:12 CDT 2024