Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Can I make rman inform/fail if there are offline datafiles?
Can I make rman inform/fail if there are offline datafiles? [message #483887] Thu, 25 November 2010 05:08 Go to next message
arikp
Hi all,
Is there any method that rman can warn we about offline datafiles(also when those files are accessible)?
I want to make a full database backup and I want rman to warn me or make the backup failed if there are
some offline datafiles.

Thanks
Re: Can I make rman inform/fail if there are offline datafiles? [message #483888 is a reply to message #483887] Thu, 25 November 2010 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>Is there any method that rman can warn we about offline datafiles(also when those files are accessible)?
Using OFFLINE and ACCESSIBLE/INACCESSIBLE in same like is quite confusing. Because they are quite different in Oracle.
Quoting docs
Quote:
A datafile is only considered inaccessible if it cannot be read. Some offline datafiles can still be read because they exist on disk. Others have been deleted or moved and so cannot be read, making them inaccessible.

RMAN will backup offline datafiles (made with Alter database datafile thisFile offline) by default.
Use "skip offline" option to skip offline files.
If the files are inaccessible, rman will error unless "skip inaccessible" is used.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B12037_01/server.101/b10734/rcmbackp.htm
Just check v$datafile.status for status of datafile.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 November 2010 05:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Can I make rman inform/fail if there are offline datafiles? [message #483890 is a reply to message #483888] Thu, 25 November 2010 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arikp
You didn't understand my question so let me rephrase:

I want that rman backup will always warn/fail if there are offline datafiles.

Not only when files are inaccessible(default) but also when offline was made with 'alter database datafile thisFile offline;'

Is there any way I could do it with rman commands?
Re: Can I make rman inform/fail if there are offline datafiles? [message #483894 is a reply to message #483890] Thu, 25 November 2010 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
I did understand your question and was under false impression that I addressed it directly.
>>I want that rman backup will always warn/fail if there are offline datafiles.
RMAN will not see this as an issue. Offline datafiles are backed up by default. May be, you can employ some scripting to check the status of datafile and proceed accordingly.
If files are INACCESSIBLE, rman backup will fail.
And what is the oracle version?
Have not checked the options in latest versions yet.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 November 2010 06:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Can I make rman inform/fail if there are offline datafiles? [message #483905 is a reply to message #483894] Thu, 25 November 2010 08:12 Go to previous message
arikp
I'm using oracle 10g and 11g.
Thanks for your answers.
Previous Topic: backup script
Next Topic: RMAN related views
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 03:52:21 CDT 2024