Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Column width convergation with Index performance (Oracel 10.2.x)
Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477424] Thu, 30 September 2010 10:09 Go to next message
sky_lt
Hi experts,

Does anyone had calculated how the length of column width effects index performance?

For example if i had IOT table emp_iot with columns:
(id number,
job varchar2(20),
time date,
plan number)

Table key consist of(id, job, time)

Column JOB has fixed list of distinct values ('ANALYST', 'NIGHT_WORKED', etc...).

What performance increase i could expect if in column "job" i would store not names but concrete numbers identifying job names.
For egz.: i would store "1" instead 'ANALYST' and "2" instead 'NIGHT_WORKED'.

Thanks for replies.

Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477425 is a reply to message #477424] Thu, 30 September 2010 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Does anyone had calculated how the length of column width effects index performance?
Please realize that you can EASILY test the two cases.
I doubt that any measurable difference exists.

It would be helpful if you followed Posting Guidelines - http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477426 is a reply to message #477425] Thu, 30 September 2010 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sky_lt
BlackSwan,

If IOT table is big - about 500million rows.
Maybe we can talk here about data in index branch blocks.
Shorter column data means more rows in index branch blocks, hence less block reads, less I/O.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 September 2010 10:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477427 is a reply to message #477426] Thu, 30 September 2010 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Shorter column data means more rows in index branch blocks, hence less block reads, less I/O.
No dispute about this theoretical conclusion.
What about additional I/O required to lookup table to translate number to meaning human value?

Provide reproducible test case that shows a measurable difference in response time.
Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477440 is a reply to message #477424] Thu, 30 September 2010 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunroser
Hi, that depends on what kind of performance you want, for example, if you want performance on read, then you should use "1" instead 'ANALYST' and "2" instead 'NIGHT_WORKED', and build bitmap index on it, if you want write it faster (quick transaction responding time), then you might not want the index on the column...
Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477441 is a reply to message #477440] Thu, 30 September 2010 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>If IOT table is big
> then you might not want the index on the column..
please make up your mind.
How do you not index an IOT?

Provide reproducible test case that shows a measurable difference in response time.
Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477445 is a reply to message #477424] Thu, 30 September 2010 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunroser
Hi, calm down. no test case needed because it is common sense. If you are update a column intensively (not included in where condition), then indexing will slow down your responding time on writing...
Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477446 is a reply to message #477445] Thu, 30 September 2010 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Hi, calm down. no test case needed because it is common sense.
In other words, don't confuse me with the facts, I've already made up my mind.
If you already were convinced what the answer is/was to your initial question, why bother asking others to confirm what you KNOW to be true?

If you can not measure any performance gain, does it REALLY exist & does the difference REALLY matter?
Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477448 is a reply to message #477424] Thu, 30 September 2010 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunroser
Hi try to focus on my point: what kind of performance we want to measure. on write? or read? Aren't they different? once we have the answer of this, then we can start measuring the performance gain as you only care. No smart answer for non-clear question...
Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477452 is a reply to message #477427] Thu, 30 September 2010 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sky_lt
well "job" column has finite set of values. I gues the bloks of lookup table will practicaly always be in the buffer, as
the IOT table is heavily used in select statements.
Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477453 is a reply to message #477440] Thu, 30 September 2010 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sky_lt
sunroser,

>and build bitmap index on it,

bitmap indexes require mapping table on IOT. besides i have OLTP enviroment, correct if i am wrong, but bitmaps require addition locking and that is kind of problem for OLTP case.
Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477455 is a reply to message #477453] Thu, 30 September 2010 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sky_lt
>Hi try to focus on my point: what kind of performance we want to measure

I need both inserts and selects. The purpose for my question is in what direction i should go. I can't make tetscases for tenths of different scenarios(as BlackSwan suggested). First i have to be at least theoretically sure
i am going write dirrection.
I want to build IOT from HEAP table on existing application,
so converting column job to using lookup table, will result plenty of modifications, i have to be sure i am picking the best scenario.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 September 2010 14:26]

Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477456 is a reply to message #477455] Thu, 30 September 2010 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
> I can't make tetscases for tenths of different scenarios(as BlackSwan suggested)
Only TWO cases exist.
1) column is VARCHAR2
2) column is NUMBER

How big a difference in performance can be measured between the 2 cases?
Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477457 is a reply to message #477456] Thu, 30 September 2010 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sky_lt
>Only TWO cases exist.
Internally oracle stores number as varchar2. Its not about the data type is about the length.
You are right here i should make a test. But the purpose i am asking the experts is that if anyone has already proved it practically, so in that
case why to invent a bicycle again.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 September 2010 14:48]

Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477458 is a reply to message #477457] Thu, 30 September 2010 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Internally oracle stores number as varchar2.
Post proof of this outrageous claim.

>Its not about the data type is about the length.
So store LONG strings vs. "short" numbers & test accordingly.
Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477459 is a reply to message #477457] Thu, 30 September 2010 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Internally oracle stores number as varchar2

This is wrong. Where did you see that?

Regards
Michel
Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477460 is a reply to message #477459] Thu, 30 September 2010 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sky_lt
Michel,
>This is wrong. Where did you see that?

"Since a number in Oracle is just a varying length string that represents a number"

http://htmldb.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:2669498700346402356

[Updated on: Thu, 30 September 2010 15:15]

Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477464 is a reply to message #477460] Thu, 30 September 2010 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You are taking it too literaly, Tom simplifies it here as it precises between parenthesis: "it is like a packed decimal number" which is still a simplify version of the actual representation.

By the way, Tom answered your question:

Quote:
Your data dictates the data type - if you have numbers, you WILL use numbers. If you have strings - you WILL use strings. After that - it just is a question "do I need to index that data or not"

That is where the discussion begins and ends.

Regards
Michel

Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477466 is a reply to message #477464] Thu, 30 September 2010 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sky_lt
Michel,

thanks you are right here about storing numbers

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/num_size.html

Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477470 is a reply to message #477466] Thu, 30 September 2010 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
If you are talking about WRITE speed, an insert will cost exactly ONE block write for the table, and typically ONE block write for each index (although, on average, it will be more like 1.01 - 1.05 blocks per index because of block splitting). That applies for VARCHAR2 and NUMBER equally, because Oracle does not write volumes smaller than one block.

If you are talking about READ speed, it will cost you exactly ONE block read for the table, and 2-4 for the index - depending on its b-tree depth. It is entirely possible for your VARCHAR2 example to make the b-tree deeper, requiring an extra block read for the VARCHAR2 example. But because the maximum size of b-tree indexes increases polynomially with each increment in depth, this difference is highly improbable in practice.

Yes, there would be a measurable difference in the size of the index. This would probably affect the performance if index rebuilds.

The fact is, if you can think of ANY other reason to choose one or the other, then that factor will almost certainly carry more weight than read and write performance.

Ross Leishman
Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477571 is a reply to message #477455] Fri, 01 October 2010 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunroser
sky_lt wrote on Thu, 30 September 2010 15:21
>Hi try to focus on my point: what kind of performance we want to measure

I need both inserts and selects. The purpose for my question is in what direction i should go. I can't make tetscases for tenths of different scenarios(as BlackSwan suggested). First i have to be at least theoretically sure
i am going write dirrection.
I want to build IOT from HEAP table on existing application,
so converting column job to using lookup table, will result plenty of modifications, i have to be sure i am picking the best scenario.

Hi Sky_it, now new point: unlikely you gonna pick the lookup solution which brings too much modification. If that is the case, the answer is clear: use the column with the characters. If couldn't absolutely say: best for read might not be best for writing, but the idea of how to design is different when you are trying to get the best performance.

So please answer this question first:
if there is ever a business performance impact: e.c. select is too slow / submit is too slow. Which one is going to win the resource?
Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477574 is a reply to message #477453] Fri, 01 October 2010 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunroser
sky_lt wrote on Thu, 30 September 2010 15:14
sunroser,

bitmap indexes require mapping table on IOT. besides i have OLTP enviroment, correct if i am wrong, but bitmaps require addition locking and that is kind of problem for OLTP case.

Right, that is exactly what I want to stress on.

If you want the best on reading, and the column's distinct value is fixed and limited (in your case), than bitmap can give the "incredible" speed, but the column with bitmap gets updated slow. If you ever decide to use this solution and like to improve the writing speed on bitmap column, then you:

1. make this column updated in night batch.
2. drop the bitmap index before the update
3. update
4. build up the bitmap index

However, if the app is updating this column online frequently, then this is not what you want.
Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477575 is a reply to message #477453] Fri, 01 October 2010 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunroser
sunroser,

Hi, Sky-it, bitmap is one type of index, it doesn't require any extra mapping table. When you select on it, no additional lock required. It is kind of problem for OLTP if you are updating this bitmap-indexed column frequently.

Refer to my another post for solution.
Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477582 is a reply to message #477575] Fri, 01 October 2010 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
sunroser wrote on Sat, 02 October 2010 07:04
Hi, Sky-it, bitmap is one type of index, it doesn't require any extra mapping table. When you select on it, no additional lock required. It is kind of problem for OLTP if you are updating this bitmap-indexed column frequently.

I would qualify that: don't use bitmap indexes whenever there is a chance of concurrent DML: that's inserts, updates or deletes. So by that rule, if your OLTP system has 2 users who modify this table, don't use a bitmap index.

The reason - which has been danced around above - is because bitmap indexes effectively lock at the block level, not the row level. If two sessions each insert new rows when the table is otherwise "full" (ie. no free space except at the end), then one session will almost certainly block the other one. If those sessions are permitted to make further changes to the table before committing, then you are exposed to a deadlock situation.

So - technically, if every session that modifies the table commits after every row, you will avoid deadlocks, but still be exposed to blocking.

Ross Leishman
Re: Column width convergation with Index performance [message #477667 is a reply to message #477575] Sun, 03 October 2010 05:06 Go to previous message
sky_lt
sunroser wrote on Sat, 02 October 2010 00:04
sunroser,

Using Bitmap indexes on INDEX-ORGANIZED table require additional mapping heap table. So that is performance overhead.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ANSWERS!!!
Now i am confident - in my case to use varchar2 columns, as oracle will read/write 1 block for every write and read operation.
I will have the size issue here as Mr. rleishman has noted, but it is not an problem for me.

[Updated on: Sun, 03 October 2010 05:12]

Previous Topic: Performace issue in update
Next Topic: Tuning Buffer cache and Buffer Busy Waits.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 30 09:33:18 CDT 2024