Home » Other » Community Hangout » Cyber Safety
Cyber Safety [message #402556] Mon, 11 May 2009 08:18 Go to next message
rleishman
Holy moly. I just went to a cyber-safety lecture at my kid's primary school (?elementary? for our US cousins).

As an IT professional, I regard myself as pretty tech-savvy. I administer my little home network, protecting it from viruses, trojans, bandwidth thieves, etc - successfully for the most part.

I kind of regard the lastest crop of Gen-Y'ers coming into the workforce as a bit of an aberration, with their IM fetish and what-not. I got an email from one the other day asking me to switch on my Communicator so that I could help them with a problem.

They sit about 10m away for pity's sake. Surely that's just one amongst an otherwise sensible bunch. Right?

I've been hiding in my crotchetty-old-man shell for so long, I haven't noticed that this is NORMAL behaviour. These kids will no more email (forget the phone) you than they would send you Morse code.

And my kids will be worse than the ones at work. They've been BORN into the broadband revolution.

I've never been in a chat room.
I've never connected to MySpace or Facebook.
I didn't even realise that MSN had a near monopoly on IM.
I thought kids used snappy one-word online names like CoolGuy and Sk8rDude - not whole sentences using non-alphanumeric chatracters and icons.
I'd never even heard of LimeWire before tonight.

Ohhhh boy. I've got a lot to learn. And quick.
Re: Cyber Safety [message #402569 is a reply to message #402556] Mon, 11 May 2009 09:28 Go to previous message
Frank
LOL
How recognizable.
Here I was, thinking I was hip and all, using Skype to chat to team-members all over the planet.
Then we got a new colleague, about 20 years old or so.
Don't understand a "word" she types Sad
Is it an IM-abbreviation I don't know? The newest social networking site? Or something "Hot" she had to drink last night?

Face it, we're old school now. It's official.
Previous Topic: Don't worry: Be happy.
Next Topic: Burleson?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:54:28 CDT 2024