Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » ora-12560: tns:protocol adapter error after installing ODP.NET (10g, ODP.NET, Window Server 2003)
ora-12560: tns:protocol adapter error after installing ODP.NET [message #360428] Thu, 20 November 2008 23:19 Go to next message
stanomatic
I am new to Oracle and I am receiving this error after installing ODP.NET. “ora-12560: tns:protocol adapter error”

I installed 10g Express and ran a bat file. All is good. Inside the bat file it reads similar to “sqlplus USER/PASSWORD …”.

Installed ODP.NET and ran the identical bat file and had the error ora-12560: tns:protocol adapter error. BUT if I access All Programs | Oracle Database 10g Express Edition | Run SQL Command Line and log in with the identical credentials found in the bat file it WORKS!. In short, opening up cmd and connecting throws an error but the “All Programs | Oracle Database 10g Express Edition | Run SQL Command Line” works. Please make the distinction here.

I decided to replicate the problem. That is: Fresh install of 10g Express. I copied the tnsnames.ora, listener.ora, sqlnet.ora to my desktop and then installed ODP.NET. I did a file compare and they are identical. So the change is somewhere.

The listener service is working.

Does anyone have a fix instead of reinstalling 10g the next time this happens?

Stan
Re: ora-12560: tns:protocol adapter error after installing ODP.NET [message #360788 is a reply to message #360428] Mon, 24 November 2008 00:53 Go to previous message
tahpush

Check the paths, you probably have two Oracle home, one OracleXE and one for ODP. In that case you have two tnsnames.ora, verfiy that you have the same entries in both.

Previous Topic: listener hangs while starting and stopping
Next Topic: I got the ora-12560 message too!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:41:14 CDT 2024