Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » ORA-12170: TNS: Connect timeout occurred (Oracle, 10.2.0.4, Solaris 10)
ORA-12170: TNS: Connect timeout occurred [message #345200] Tue, 02 September 2008 10:24 Go to next message
deepmachine
Both, my database and listener are up and running. I can easily connect to SQL*PLUS from the server.

But when I try to connect through TOAD from client (Windows XP Professional) machine, I get an ORA-12170: TNS: Connect timeout occurred error.

My TNSNAMES.ORA file contains correct CONNECT DESCRIPTOR entries. Regardless, I should still be able to connect via DIRECT CONNECT option in TOAD with just IP address, port and service name. I am certain about the service_name as well, as I retrieved that from show parameter service_names;

I can also ping server hostname through windows machine with successfull retrieval results.

Lastly, my SQLNET.ORA file on client (used by TOAD) contains both TNSNAMES and EZCONNECT connection types. Once again, it can't be a problem of SQLNET.ORA since I connect to other DBs on different servers, with the same configurations.

What could be the problem?

Thanks for looking.
Re: ORA-12170: TNS: Connect timeout occurred [message #345206 is a reply to message #345200] Tue, 02 September 2008 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
Please read & follow posting guidelines as stated in URL above

What, if anything, does listener.log file show for connection attempts from TOAD?
Re: ORA-12170: TNS: Connect timeout occurred [message #345253 is a reply to message #345206] Tue, 02 September 2008 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deepmachine
Quote:
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
Please read & follow posting guidelines as stated in URL above

What's missing this time? Thanks!

Quote:
What, if anything, does listener.log file show for connection attempts from TOAD?

There is nothing in the log file regarding TOAD. However, all other connections are being listened from application server etc.

Thanks!
Re: ORA-12170: TNS: Connect timeout occurred [message #345276 is a reply to message #345200] Tue, 02 September 2008 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>There is nothing in the log file regarding TOAD.
Then I would conclude that TOAD is talking (or trying to talk) to some other system;
because the listener logs every connection attempt & is status.
Re: ORA-12170: TNS: Connect timeout occurred [message #345294 is a reply to message #345276] Tue, 02 September 2008 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deepmachine
But in the same TNSNAMES.ORA file, I have other TNS ALIASes that point to hosts on the same subnet, and TOAD successfully connects to all of them. Secondly, the host addresses mentioned in CONNECT DESCRIPTORS for this problematic TNS ALIAS, can be pinged and would retrieve successful results.

A couple of weeks ago, I had this same problem, which I resolved by adding a (INSTANCE_NAME = my_instance) entry, and it worked fine. And now, even that doesn't work.

Any thoughts?
Re: ORA-12170: TNS: Connect timeout occurred [message #345296 is a reply to message #345200] Tue, 02 September 2008 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Any thoughts?
Would you like some cheese with your whine?

>I resolved by adding a (INSTANCE_NAME = my_instance) entry, and it worked fine
So what did you change & caused it to stop functioning again/now???????

Your mindset should be "what have I done wrong?",
but have embraced the concept Oracle is being mean to you by throwing errors.

Your repeated claims that all your file are 100% correct ring hollow.

If you really understood how to make SQL*Net work, you would not be so desparate for others to solve your self made mess.

The Posting Guidelines clearly state that you should use CUT & PASTE so we can see what you see.

You continue to insist that all your files are OK, but the error would indicate SOMETHING is amiss.

All the while you provide us nothing of substance for anyone to review.

Please re-read your posts from the perspective of an independent reader who does not know any of YOUR history; as most of us.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 September 2008 00:08] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: ORA-12170: TNS: Connect timeout occurred [message #345407 is a reply to message #345296] Wed, 03 September 2008 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deepmachine
True,
There is always something wrong for which software complains. And by me claiming that everything seemed right, was not. Because I just figured out that pinging the host name (neither VIP, nor Public) from client machine doesn't work anymore. Even though all three interfaces Public, VIP and Management worked so many times as I was testing network over the weekend. I had the same problem even then.

But now, ping retrieves successful reponses only with management interface.

But, could you tell why it gives ORA-12541: TNS:no listener when I try to connect through the management interface?

I also tried by entering the management interface address in my listener.ora file on the server (on both nodes), and did a lsnrctl reload.

Let me know, what would you like to see and then I'll post that info.

Thanks.
Re: ORA-12170: TNS: Connect timeout occurred [message #414902 is a reply to message #345200] Fri, 24 July 2009 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
snilofer
Are there multiple Oracle installation on your machine?

I used to get this error when there were two installations on my machine and the ORACLE_HOME was set to some wrong value.

Remove the ORACLE_HOME variable completely and restart the PC.

If Windows firewall is enabled on your machine; add the Oracle port: 1521 to the Windows exception as follows:

Open firewall to allow SQL*Net connections through
Open firewall settings and ensure the listener port is not blocked.
For example, on a Windows system, navigate to Control Panel-> Security Center-> Windows Firewall-> Exceptions. Click on Add port and add port 1521 or whatever port the listener is running on (see listener.ora).

Refer the following Oracle FAQ: www.orafaq.com/wiki/ORA-12170
Re: ORA-12170: TNS: Connect timeout occurred [message #414903 is a reply to message #345200] Fri, 24 July 2009 00:13 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/m/414900/136107/#msg_414900

broken record responding to dormant/dead/idle posts
Previous Topic: cannot allocate memory
Next Topic: weird problem of ORA-03135: connection lost contact
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:54:06 CDT 2024