Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Oracle V11 on Windows Vista x64 (Oracle v11 on Vista x64)
Oracle V11 on Windows Vista x64 [message #339526] Thu, 07 August 2008 14:57 Go to next message
BlackSwan
Meta Link says Windows Vista x64 - Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions are the supported versions for V11.

Does anyone know if Oracle V11 works on Vista Home Premium x64?
Re: Oracle V11 on Windows Vista x64 [message #339645 is a reply to message #339526] Fri, 08 August 2008 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
No, it does not.
Maybe you will succeed to install, maybe you will succeed to make it works for a while but sooner or later it will crash.

Regards
Michel
Re: Oracle V11 on Windows Vista x64 [message #339930 is a reply to message #339526] Sat, 09 August 2008 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I don't know. I can only tell you that the following combination works for me and I don't see any difference in how the certifications are listed. I remember that there have been a few issues in the past where there seemed to be conflicting information on whether some Oracle product was certified for or would work on a home version or required a business/professional version of the older windows operating systems. I used to run 9i Enterprise Edition and 10g Express Edition on one Windows XP Home Edition machine, although a lot of people said Windows XP Pro was required. I believe most of these things revolved around the lack of networking capabilities in the home version. When I installed 11g on my system, I paid very close attention to all of the messages during installation and followed the instructions to create a loopback adapter:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/install.111/b32006/reqs.htm#BABGCEAI

I think perhaps the people that have trouble with installations or functionality have ignored the warnings and failed to follow these additional detailed steps. I have not experienced any problems that I didn't cause (remember the pfile/spfile archive log mess you helped me out of?).

-- my system:
BANNER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.1.0.6.0 - Production
PL/SQL Release 11.1.0.6.0 - Production
CORE    11.1.0.6.0      Production
TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.1.0.6.0 - Production
NLSRTL Version 11.1.0.6.0 - Production

-------------------------------------------------------

OS Name:                   Microsoftr Windows VistaT Home Basic
OS Version:                6.0.6000 N/A Build 6000
System Type:               X86-based PC

-- certification listings:
mine:
Certify - Certification Matrix: Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition on Microsoft Windows Vista (x86)

Server Certifications

OS 	Product 	Certified With 	Version 	Status 	Addtl. Info. 	Components 	Other
Vista 	11gR1 	N/A 	N/A 	Certified 	None 	None 	None

yours?:
Certify - Certification Matrix: Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition on Microsoft Windows Vista (AMD64/EM64T)

Server Certifications

OS 	Product 	Certified With 	Version 	Status 	Addtl. Info. 	Components 	Other
Vista 64-bit 	11gR1 64-bit 	N/A 	N/A 	Certified 	None 	None 	None

I forgot to mention that I do get an operating system window with the following error:

nmefwmi.exe stopped working and was closed

There are various threads about this on OTN:

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/search.jspa?threadID=&q=nmefwmi.exe&objID=c84&dateRange=all&userID=&numResults=15

Apparently it is related to Oracle Enterprise Manager.

[Updated on: Sat, 09 August 2008 18:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle V11 on Windows Vista x64 [message #339931 is a reply to message #339930] Sat, 09 August 2008 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Yes, the network connectivity could be the problem that would prevent it from being really supported or certified I guess.

I remember back in the NT 4.0 days we could basically run most of our test installations and test instances on a Workstation version to do your debugging, but we needed a Server version for production because among other things the number of possible network connections was limited in the Workstation version.

Also, I don't know how limited the user permission setup is in Vista Home. Maybe there are some limitations there, too, which would prevent it from being a really supported platform, but wouldn't matter much in a test environment.

Re: Oracle V11 on Windows Vista x64 [message #379145 is a reply to message #339526] Mon, 05 January 2009 02:18 Go to previous message
tamer_mehyar
Yes i have installed Oracle 11g, on my windows ultimate 64 bit. and i had no problems at all.. i installed vista 32 bit now, and im having this issue..
how can i stop OEM?
Previous Topic: TNS: protocol adapter error
Next Topic: /3GB switch on Windows-32bit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:33:20 CDT 2024