Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Design Document for stored procedure
Design Document for stored procedure [message #316856] Mon, 28 April 2008 10:44 Go to next message
visairam
Hi all,

Can anybody help me in preparing the design document for
Stored Procedures

Re: Design Document for stored procedure [message #316868 is a reply to message #316856] Mon, 28 April 2008 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
This is NOT an expert question.

It is clearly stated in the forum description: "Newbies should not post to this forum!"
Expert notion is defined in the sticky: Not an EXPERT? Post in the NEWBIES forum, NOT here
Rules are described in: OraFAQ Forum Guide
Read them, follow them including what is said about formatting.

As you are an expert, I don't answer the question because you obviously already knows it.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Mon, 28 April 2008 11:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Design Document for stored procedure [message #316943 is a reply to message #316868] Mon, 28 April 2008 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
There are two components to good technical documentation:
  • High Level Design
  • Detailed Design

This supposes that we have already done the Business Requirements (what the users want to be able to achieve), the Functional Requirements (what the Business Analyst wants the system to achieve), and the Functional Specification (what the Application Architect / System Analyst claims the system will do).

So, given a Functional Specification (which tells you what the system must do), you need to determine how the system will do it.

"It" may require a number of independent data modules (files, tables) and code modules - some single-purose, some shareable. The High-Level Design must:
  • Identify and describe each of these modules
  • Identify the technology of each module (eg. Stored Procedure, Java)
  • Identify dependencies, data flows, and control flows between them
  • Trace each component back to the Functional Specification
Diagrams are good for this.

Then comes the Detailed Design. Each module from the High-Level Design is describes in more detail. For tables, show the volumetrics, growth, indexes, tablespace - everything needed to implement the table. For code modules, identify inputs and outputs; overall algorithm; pseudocode for any complex algorithms or calculations; library routines that should be re-used rather than re-coded.

Importantly, the High Level Design will identify a module and tell you WHAT it does; the Detail Design will tell you HOW is does it.

Ross Leishman
Re: Design Document for stored procedure [message #317038 is a reply to message #316943] Tue, 29 April 2008 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
visairam
Hi Leishman,

Can you kindly send me a
Stored Procedure with its Design Documentation.

Thanks & Regards
Sairam Virella
Stored Procedure Design Document [message #317105 is a reply to message #316856] Tue, 29 April 2008 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
visairam
Hi

Can anybody help me in preparing Design Document for
Stored Procedures

I need it so urgently

Please help me.

Thanks & Regards
Sairam Virella
Re: Stored Procedure Design Document [message #317155 is a reply to message #317105] Tue, 29 April 2008 13:05 Go to previous message
ThomasG
There is no difference between a design document for a stored procedure and one for any other kind of software.

There are some thousand examples of design documents on Google
Previous Topic: 10g Performance Tuning Book
Next Topic: Passing Dynamic Collection to SubRoutines
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 01 09:36:06 CDT 2024