Re: Database record format that encourages optimal retrieve(read, search, etc) & store(write, sort, etc)

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 07:19:39 -0800 (PST)

On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 4:23:50 AM UTC-4, seim..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am researching data that is optimal in how many
> distinct read operations are performed over a period
> of time and how many distinct write operations are performed
> over a period of time.

This isn't a theory question exactly. Once you start talking about record formats and reads and writes to files, you are talking about implementation.

> I have one example(bank account) which for generality is text only:
>
> Name: John Smith
>
> Age: 50
>
> Amount: + 1000
>

> Name: John Smith Jr
>
> Age: 31
>
> Amount: +100
>
> In the abobe example, an optimal write to the second record
> would consider
> the redundancy in the Name and Amount.

NO. John Smith Jr is not John Smith. The information is not Redundant!

> Likewise, while retrieving the record, an optimal read
> will not read all the bytes of the second record rather
> it will retrive the "Jr", & subtract a 0 from the Amount.

I'll just stop here and remind you:
Premature optimization is the root of all evil.

I think you are chasing the wrong solution. []