Re: Tarski school influence on Database Theory

From: Eric <eric_at_deptj.eu>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 18:06:07 +0200

On 2015-10-04, vldm10 <vldm10_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dana petak, 2. listopada 2015. u 22:10:10 UTC+2, korisnik Eric napisao je:

>>> I think you are not well enough, understand this post. I did not write that
>>> the file model is in some way similar to relational model.
>>
>> So, having read the rest of what you say in this post, I now realise
>> that what we have is a terminology problem.

> In my opinion, we do not have a terminology problem, I think the problem is
> more serious.
>

>> Long ago and far away, when I first started to work with computers, "fixed
>> length records" meant that every record in a file was N characters long,
>> and was divided into M fields, each of which had a starting position and
>> a length and a purpose. This is what I understood you to mean, and of
>> course it provides no obvious way to deal with the multiple telephone
>> number problem.
>

> The problem with these records is not a variable number of bytes. The
> problem is so-called "repeating groups". These repeating groups make the
> corresponding record to be of the variable length. So the main thing here is
> about the design of database and about constructive elements of this
> design. These constructions I explained in my post from September 30, 2015.
> Look at Table A, B and File Customer.
>

> I will also quote C. Date, from his book "An Introduction to Database
> Systems", sixth edition, 1995, Chapter 4:
>

> " 4. All attributes values are atomic
> This last property is, of course, a consequence of the fact that all
> underlying domains contain values only. We can state the property
> differently (and very informally) as follows: At every row-and-column
> position within the table, there is always exactly one value, never a
> collection of several values. Or equivalently again: Relations do not
> contain repeating groups. A relation satisfying this condition is said to
> be normalized, or equivalently to be in first normal form." As you can see,
> First normal form is related to the repeating groups.

Yes, first normal form is related to repeating groups. But repeating groups are not at all related to what I have always believed to be the important distinction between fixed length and variable length records. As I said, you can have a repeating group in a fixed length record, and there is no need to have one in a variable length record. You and I are using the phrases "fixed length" and "variable length" to mean different things, so yes it is a terminology problem.

Now I believe I do understand what you mean, but I don't believe that it supports your claim that Codd's "normalisation" was merely a naming of something already done. Neither the context nor the justification are the same so there is only a similarity which proves nothing.

Eric

--
ms fnd in a lbry