SQL Bashing - the Sport of Champions!

From: Derek Asirvadem <derek.asirvadem_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 01:51:39 -0800 (PST)

James

> On Thursday, 12 February 2015 17:23:44 UTC+11, James K. Lowden wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 23:06:25 -0800 (PST) Derek Asirvadem <derek.asirvadem_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > Thank you for your excellent post. I will get to the rest on the weekend

Now in that otherwise excellent post and ongoing discussion, I had stated:

I am aware that the Dates and the Darwens of the world propagate a myth, that SQL is broken, and that you can't do this or that. Let me assure you that the myth is false, self-serving. There is nothing in it. In my three years at the TTM encampment, every so often, either one of the slaves or the slave master himself would post a "here is something SQL cannot do, here is proof that SQL is broken" article. In every instance, I posted a full solution using SQL (nothing but SQL), and proved such to be false.

I am quite willing to do that here. Please give me an example of what SQL cannot do. Re RDBs. <<<<

Evidently, the mere sight of the words:

> > ... SQL cannot do ...

caused you to entirely forget the context of the thread (Normalisation, the abject failure of theoreticians to Normalise anything) and the post, and to embark on the sport that is dearly beloved of theoreticians: SQL Bashing.

I was treating the difficulties that you were experiencing with SQL as a serious business, and I was offering assistance in any real-world situation (note "an example", note "Re RDBs"). But you slipped into the well-worn trench of your teachers, and you perceived the offer as an opportunity for attack on something that cannot defend itself.

The subject needs a separate thread. Before I answer each of your points, the context needs to be laid out. This is important because the myth has been propagated, over a long period, and theoreticians in this space (non-scientists) believe myths, rather than applying the sciences. The myth is held up by veritable pillars of clouds, and those pillars have to be addressed.