Essential Reading

From: Derek Asirvadem <derek.asirvadem_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 21:45:32 -0800 (PST)

James
Jan

Re a number of items that have been exposed on this thread, the OO/ORM+NonRdb Model in particular

Have you guys heard this Irish joke ?

Drunk guy, at two o'clock in the morning. On his hands and knees, in the street, between two cars, desperately looking for something. London bobby arrives.

Bobby: "Ello, ello, ello, what have we here ?"

Paddy: "Ello, ossifer, jusht looking for mah car keysh."

Bobby: "Where is your car ?"

Paddy, pointing 20 metres down the rod: "Over there, ossifer."

Bobby: "Where did you lose your keys ?"

Paddy, pointing to his car: "Over there, ossifer."

Booby: "So, tell me, if you lost your keys over there, why are you looking for them over here ?"

Paddy, pointing at the streetlight above their heads: "Becosh there is light over here."

Have you read Abraham Maslow's Hammer theory ? "If I had a hammer, I'd be lookin' for a nai-i-a-i-ail."

Maslow wrote an excellent book on the dangers of reductionism. Unfortunately, instead of heeding it, and modulating the reductionism that there science is founded upon, theoreticians have taken it to the extreme. In the theoretical void in our field, data is reduced to single characters in italics, devoid of meaning and context.

Have you read Kruger and Dunning's 1999 paper ?
__Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments.
AFAIC it is essential reading for anyone who considers themselves a theoretician, mandatory reading for decision-makers in our industry. That paper is especially good, because there was an outcry from the pharisees, so K&D performed further research and further confirmed their findings in 2008
__Why the unskilled are unaware: Further explorations of (absent) self-insight among the incompetent

Cheers
Derek Received on Wed Feb 04 2015 - 06:45:32 CET

Original text of this message