Re: Why are [Database] Mathematicians Crippled ?

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 00:21:14 -0800 (PST)

Op vrijdag 30 januari 2015 05:23:49 UTC+1 schreef Derek Asirvadem:
> Dear people
>
> In the Hierachical Model Relevance to Relational Model thread, re the Topological thread, I posted:
>
> > > Therefore, it is a tiny project, if implemented by an experienced practitioner
> > > who is not crippled by the impediments.
> > > ---- And it is difficult, for anyone else, with the extent of difficulty
> > > directly related to the extent that they are affected by the impediments.
> > > ---- This is a case in point, of how mathematicians cripple [other] mathematicians,
> > > all by themselves.
>
> That last sentence is a very important point.
>
> In case it needs to be said, this is not aboout Norbert, it is about mathematicians in the field of databases, Relational Model, and Norbert has provided us with a good, evidenced, example.
>
> Read the Topology thread, please. Ignore my posts if you like. Just read the others, the back-and-forth between two accomplished and published mathematicians. Then consider a short synopsis of that entire thread. Notice:
> - Norbert's task is a straight-forward, small, implementation task.

No, I think you misunderstand what he is trying to do and what he is asking. He is proposing an extension of the relational model with new concepts that can deal with data that represents toplogies over other data. And his question is if practitioners could make sense of these concepts and use them.

The answer seems to be "no".