Re: [LIU Comp Sci] Need tutoring on Relational Calculus

From: Eric <eric_at_deptj.eu>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 11:46:00 +0000

On 2014-12-22, ruben safir <ruben_at_mrbrklyn.com> wrote:

8>< -----

> I went to a postgres developer and asked if they had ER tools and they
> just chuckled at me.
>
> Actually, not just one, but a table full of them.

I do not see why that is relevant at all, or why you asked them, but it does not surprise me in the least.

And I don't see why they should produce ER tools. Somebody else can do that if they are needed.

8>< -----

> Meanwhile, people I know who are writing databases engines, google
> engineers, and such, after speaking with them, they are very apologetic
> about the theory and then say things like, "You have to learn it but its
> BS. We can't build databases that run like that for what we do"

This is because they don't understand the theory either.

8>< -----

> It is sad and the Universities, because of this, are having their lunch
> eaten by springboard institutions that aggressively teach hands on
> practice and theory.

Well, you've got those the wrong way round.

> Look at this place, for example:
>
> http://flatironschool.com/

As has that place, as far as I can see. They are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Eric

--
ms fnd in a lbry