Request for Guidance, Reading Material

From: Ian Tegebo <ian.tegebo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 10:33:26 -0700 (PDT)

I know little to nothing about database theory, but I'm (slowly) working through "Foundations of Databases" (FoD):

http://webdam.inria.fr/Alice/

My goal is to understand what theoretical tools are available and how they may be applied to various problem domains. I'm following the idea that by choosing the most restrictive language for a particular domain, I can benefit from stronger theoretical results due to reduced expressive power, e.g. from static analysis.

Unfortunately, FoD is almost twenty years old and I assume a new edition would be quite different. I'd like to know what those differences might be.

Hopefully, folks would be kind enough to suggest some updated material along the lines of FoD or otherwise provide some guidance for doing my own search for papers (there are over a thousand citations of FoD http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=551350).

To try and narrow things down,

  1. I'm interested in logic languages (and language theory generally)
  2. I'm not thinking about Big Data (although I'll have to eventually)
  3. I'd like to be aware of more query language *families*
  4. I'd like to know how dependencies (or database model) relate to query language
  5. I'm curious about how models/dependencies relate to type theory

Thanks in advance, -ian Received on Sat Jul 19 2014 - 19:33:26 CEST

Original text of this message