Re: What is an algorithm?

From: <Erwin.Smout_at_ikan.be>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 05:56:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:36:47 AM UTC+1, Nicola wrote:
> In article <...>,
>
> Nicola <...> wrote:
>

> > The Church-Turing theory
>

> This is "thesis", of course, not "theory".
>
> Nicola

The following :

http://nanoexplanations.wordpress.com/2011/07/04/a-mathematical-proof-of-the-church-turing-thesis/

seems to suggest that a set of axioms was found/conceived/constructed in which the thesis became a provable theorem (and indeed a proof was delivered too).

Not that I have any idea how important this really is (but for the obvious phenomenon that if the concerned set of axioms itself is an agreeable one (*), we no longer need to just take the (hypo)thesis for granted, "on good faith").

(*) and there is more to it than just turning a former theorem into an axiom and then deducing the former axiom as a theorem from the former theorem, which is just plain cheap if I may be so blunt. Received on Thu Mar 27 2014 - 13:56:09 CET

Original text of this message