Re: Academic name for associative array when used to pair column names with data

From: <william.d.stevenson_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 06:08:48 -0700 (PDT)

> It's just "tuple". Since neither relations (tables) nor tuples (rows) are ordered in their attributes
> (columns), it is convenient and typical to characterize relations as sets of tuples and tuples as
> sets of name-value pairs.

Hi Philip,

Thanks for your reply.

So, there's no proper way to distinguish by nomenclature a tuple of just the data values from a tuple of the pairing of the attribute names with the data values?

I'm picking on this because I'm trying to name something and would like to do better than "key-value" or "name-value" if I can.

Perl would let me re-use "tuple" for the "%name_needed" variable, but I think that would be confusing to anyone else who reads the code.

Thanks,

William Received on Wed Mar 19 2014 - 14:08:48 CET

Original text of this message