Re: What is a database?

From: Derek Asirvadem <derek.asirvadem_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 18:48:03 -0800 (PST)

> On Wednesday, 5 March 2014 13:01:19 UTC+11, Derek Asirvadem wrote:

Correction of a typographical error:

That means, *subsequent* to the pre-relational standards for _pre-relational_ Databases; Order; Structure; Normalisation, that existed at 1970, we had standards for *Relational* Databases; Order; Structure; Normalisation. Fully implemented by 1984.

Further:

IBM had Sequel, which was a proprietary brand name for SQL (you do know what that stands for, don't you). SQL as a *definition* of a Data Sublanguage, as an implementation of *the* Data Sublanguage defined in the RM, was then extracted from IBM, and it became a Standard.

Modelling methods for Relational databases were invented. Chen produced the ER Model, from which Brown; Ramey; and Coleman, produced Relational Modelling (IDEF1X), notably with Codd's input, in the 19080's, which became a standard in 1993. LogicWorks produced a fully Relational modelling tool incorporating IDEF1X, ERwin (not the correspondent) in 1987, it is now sold by CA.

So the fact is, since 1984 (I have been using them since 1985), we have completely Relational platforms; modelling tools; and standards for each aspect. Of course, all that is relevant to, only possible for, those who can read and understand the RM.

Many people don't. They are stuck in the pre-1970, pre-relational age, implementing data heaps in SQL containers. The integrity, power and speed of filing cabinets, implemented in a computer.

Where ignorance is bliss, it is folly to be wise. Apologies for casting pearls before swine.

Cheers
Derek Received on Wed Mar 05 2014 - 03:48:03 CET

Original text of this message