Re: What is a database?

From: <Erwin.Smout_at_ikan.be>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 23:05:15 -0800 (PST)

On Thursday, February 27, 2014 8:07:41 PM UTC+1, Jan Hidders wrote:

> >> Funny that. I don't believe in public definitions. All a definition is>
>
> >> and can do is establish how a certain person or group cares to assign
>
> >> a> meaning to a word or phrase, so in that sense it is always private.

> >> means> with a certain word.
>

> > Ok. We can proceed, as long as ...
>

> > In that case, your definition of a definition is your private definition.
>

> Unless we agree on one, and then it is *our* private definition, and
>
> then we can have a meaningful and fruitful discussion about it.
>

> I'm afraid that for the moment I have to leave your other points for
>
> what they are because I have to go and prepare a few lectures on, you
>
> know, MVCC and optimistic concurrency management. But you already knew
>
> that, didn't you? :-)
>

> -- Jan Hidders

MVCC and optimistic concurrency management is only for retards who don't know how to do transactions properly. If you just follow Derek standards, you won't ever need any of that crap, and you'll certainly never bring the system down on its knees. Received on Fri Feb 28 2014 - 08:05:15 CET

Original text of this message