Re: What is a database?

From: Derek Asirvadem <derek.asirvadem_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 02:42:49 -0800 (PST)

> On Sunday, 1 December 2013 04:51:50 UTC+11, Eric wrote:
>
> No, seriously, what is your short, accurate definition of the word
> "database" (in, but not necessarily restricted to, a computer context)?

An ordered, structured collection of data.

Good question. Since some time has passed since 1970, when the seminal work of Dr E F Codd changed the database landscape permanently, one might subsequently ask:

What is your short, accurate definition of the term Relational Database ?

An ordered, structured collection of data, in which the order and structure is implemented in Relational Keys.

Notes:
- The order and structure provide relationships in databases; here we have a qualifier on that ordering and structuring - If your tables are all keyed on surrogates, you have a pre-1970 record filing system, nowhere near a database. They are files, not tables.

Cheers
Derek Received on Tue Feb 25 2014 - 11:42:49 CET

Original text of this message