Re: Impossible Database Design?

From: Derek Asirvadem <derek.asirvadem_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 20:55:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, 17 May 2006 21:42:42 UTC+10, -CELKO- wrote:

> A better and cheaper cholice would be to download the PDF book by Rick
> Snodgrass at the University of Arizona website. Rick has been doing
> temporal RDBMS work for over 20+ years and has actual SQL code in the
> major dialects in his book, as well as accepted theoretical basis.

The Snotgrass book is a pure abortion. Minus the vacuum tubes. He is a long-term "researcher" at the Microshaft University. That should tell you something. If you want to fail completely, while thinking that you are succeeding, this is the book to read. It is available free, like porn on the web and syphilis.

The Date and Darwen books are yesterdays abortions, re-hashed and re-titled. Good for training your mind to think like a schizophrenic.

The Lorentzos book is very good, but heavy on the theoretical side.

One needs to define a set of data structures for temporal data, INTERVAL, DURATION. Start & End dates(times) existed long before temporal. Once one has that, and has that correctly, the mass of theory becomes irrelevant. Eg. I just give my developers the data structures and the rules for use, I do not ask them to read the Lorentzos book.

The high end SQL platforms now have the new temporal data structures (I wouldn't call the "complex data structures", but they do) If you don't have that, simply write a data structure and a couple of functions to handle them. That is what I had for the decades before the platforms had them.

Cheers
Derek Received on Mon Sep 30 2013 - 05:55:45 CEST

Original text of this message