Re: Question on Structuring Product Attributes

From: James K. Lowden <jklowden_at_speakeasy.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 02:57:15 -0500

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 16:48:54 -0800 (PST) Derek Asirvadem <derek.asirvadem_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > > ? Sybase ANSI_NULL_BEHAVIOUR = OFF (where NULL = NULL)
> > > is 2VL.
> >
> > Um, no. A logic with 3 values can't be a 2VL.
>
> Or you could look up the manual, there might be one there.
> http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.help.ase_15.0.commands/html/commands/commands85.htm
> As I stated previously, the OFF setting allows developers to NOT know
> 3VL, to NOT care about 3VL, to NOT have to make 3VL considerations in
> every code segment.

The manual says of the SET statement that with ANSI null behavior turned off, comparisions to NULL yield FALSE, and NULL = NULL is TRUE.

> As I stated previously, the OFF setting allows developers to NOT know
> 3VL, to NOT care about 3VL, to NOT have to make 3VL considerations in
> every code segment.

Not so fast. What about arithmetic? Would this be accurate?

	2	NULL	F	F	F	F	F

I'm not a Sybase expert, but you are. If you'd be kind enough to fill in that table correctly, we could discuss whether Sybase in fact defines a 2VL and, if so, its merits.

--jkl Received on Tue Feb 12 2013 - 08:57:15 CET

Original text of this message