Re: Keeping schema static as objects are added

From: Eric <eric_at_deptj.eu>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 17:19:06 +0000

On 2012-11-25, sergei.sheinin_at_gmail.com <sergei.sheinin_at_gmail.com> wrote:

As posted in comp.databases.theory:

> I am developing a platform for relational databases that keeps schema
> unchanged as programming logic or table structures change. It is made
> of a storage with fixed data schema containing several tables and a set
> of functions all of which are written with procedural SQL.
>
> The functions enable interface to modules that save and retrieve data
> and execute programs in an interpreter. Updates of program logic and
> table structures are done with DML. Tables are queried by calling a
> table function and may contain columns of different datatypes. Program
> logic is executed by calling
> the interpreter with tree path of called function. Programs are made of
> commands mapped to a block of procedural SQL and support program flow
> controls (variables, conditional, loops, function calls with in-out
> parameters).
>
> The storage enables saving tree structures in relational database. It
> may accommodate any number of configuration settings for database objects
> as well as keep table data.
>

> Thanks!

As posted in comp.databases:

> I am a developer of new programming language platform for relational
> databases. Its technology enables preventing database schema updates as
> objects are added in process of application growth and may find use in
> a range of database applications.
>
> Platform features:
> - Programming logic is updated in a database without altering its
> schema
> - Application table structures are updated in a database without
> altering its schema
> - Interpreter resides inside a database, no application software
> installation
> - Hierarchical tree structures are saved in a relational
> database and accessible by path
> - Enables updates of programming logic and data schema with
> DML SQL statements
> - Supports flow controls including variables, conditional,
> loops, function calls with in-out parameters
>
> Currently tested as a working prototype. Thanks!
> http://sprout.internetsite.eu

Anyway:

  1. It would be nice to know what problem you are actually trying to solve here.
  2. Most things described as avoiding schema changes turn out to be EAV which means, for example, that performance will not scale, and that anything other than very simple queries tend to be very difficult to get right.
  3. You seem to have a translator and a run-time interpreter, both of which are written in an interpreted language. This might be an unnecessary complication.
  4. You might want to reconsider the name: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/projects/SPROUT/ http://cedb.asce.org/cgi/WWWdisplay.cgi?97328

Eric

--
ms fnd in a lbry