Re: Generating fake databases

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 07:40:29 +0000 (UTC)

Erwin wrote:

> How far does the scope go of what you mean by "constraints" here ?
>
> Really just any arbitrary constraint (such as "the sum of the
> percentages in this table must add up to 100", and which are at best
> enforced by trigger code buried inside the database definition, and
> for which you are unlikely to have any machine-readable declarative
> definition), or only the classes of constraint for which SQL has
> declarative support ?

In some far future day I can see how it would be nice to have a tool that could extract the declared constraints from the database catalogues, but that is not an immediate need.

For the present purpose I would be content to specify the constraints "by hand", so in principle I expect to be able to specify general constraints along with, say, referential constraints.

--
Roy