Re: Questions on possreps

From: David BL <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 00:21:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 14, 1:01 am, David BL <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On Jun 13, 7:40 pm, Hugh Darwen <hughdar..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > 3. At least one selector must be available for every type, from which
> > it follows that for every value V of every type there will be at least
> > one selector invocation that denotes V.
>
> I find this unreasonable when I consider union types such as
> PLANE_FIGURE, since it would be impractical for it to have an
> appropriate selector according to your definition (a selector for a
> subtype like CIRCLE is not deemed to be a selector for PLANE_FIGURE).

It occurred to me that this item which is part of RM prescription 4 must be an example of a prescription that must be modified slightly when you incorporate the IM (Erwin warned me about this). I don't have the TTM book so I cannot confirm that at the moment.

I consider my proposal to include your ideas on type inheritance, so I prefer to only consider the version of the TTM that includes the IM. I'll try to take that into account when I refer to the online TTM. Received on Tue Jun 14 2011 - 09:21:23 CEST

Original text of this message