Re: Database design for a little soccer league

From: Bob Badour <bob_at_badour.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 18:26:39 -0700

Mariano C. wrote:

> I'm developing an application about little soccer league, i need to
> track teams, team's players, match, game's events (goal, red card,
> yellow card, ...), player who took part in a match.
>
> I have 5 tables:
> team (stores teams information. PK: id)
> player (stores players information. PK: id; FK: team_id)
> matches (stores information about match, this is a joining table among
> team and team. PK: id; FK: home_team_id, away_team_id)
> events (stores game's events for given match and who player was
> responsable for this. PK: id; FK: match_id, player_id)
> lineup (stores players who took part in a given match. PK: id; FK:
> player_id, match_id)
>
> Does it seems correct?
> This is the DB with the PK and FK (hope that link is working):
> http://imgclub.org/images/caressarev.jpg

Mariano,

It's not possible to do database design over usenet. Anyone offering detailed design decisions doesn't know what they are talking about.

It's a little league database. Nobody is going to die if you make a mistake, and I am sure you will make plenty. I suggest you make them and then see what's difficult to do and what's easy to do with your design.

As long as you don't plan to jump from the little league to something that could do real damage, I see little harm.

If, on the other hand, you plan to make a career out of data management, I suggest a solid education in the fundamentals of data management first. Received on Wed Mar 23 2011 - 02:26:39 CET

Original text of this message