Re: Merging/mapping and or integrate on database level

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 08:40:53 +0000 (UTC)

OSteine wrote:

> I've got the following scenario:
>
> Two applications with their own database needs to be integrated on
> some common basic data (let's say person data). When the ApplicationA
> enters a new users, this user should also be available in
> ApplicationB.
>
> Using a replication method, I've completed the flow of data between
> the databases, so that all tables are available in the database schema
> for ApplicationB.
>
> personA [id_person {int}, sur_name {varchar40}, last_name{varchar40}]
> - table definition
> personB [id {char10}, fullname{varchar60}, lastname{20}, surname{40}]
> - table definition
>
> What would be the best approach to share the data between the two
> application?
>
> 1. Adjust (if possible) ApplicationB to use the personA table?
> 2. Use a interface table int_person which may be used to map and
> distribute data between the tables
> 3. Other solutions???

If your database needs to be a distributed database perhaps seek out a DBMS product that fully supports distributed databases, complete with two-phase commits.

That would, incidentally, solve the problem of dissimilar attribute definitions and synthetic key value collisions, as well as maintaining coherent data.

--
Roy