Re: Hashing for DISTINCT or GROUP BY in SQL

From: paul c <anonymous_at_not-for-mail.invalid>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 01:15:55 +0000 (UTC)

On 15/10/2010 5:44 PM, Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:
> Tom was doing RASP before leaving IBM ... something between tss/360 and
> s/38 approach to disk support ... but with traditional os/360 above.
> folklore was that he was then doing a "clean-room" re-implementation.
> and that subsequent litigation and code review only found a very few
> similar code sequences.

No idea if Tom Simpson is still alive, but I hope so. Very forceful character who I imagine might have told off a few executives but always nice to me and interesting to listen to.

> there was somebody that did a port of unix to 370 at univ. a few of us
> tried to (unsuccesfully) talk the corporation into making him an offer
> ... but he went to amdahl instead to work on gold (for AU ... eventually
> announced as UTS). There was some amount of competition between Dallas
> effort and gold/uts (as a new operating system offering).

I always had the impression that O'Connell was a big force behind UTS. Typical of him, when it came to Huron he didn't push UTS because he knew there was no market there. UTS was looked at as a fourth platform but as I recall it didn't follow the POSIX dictums that were becoming pre-eminent in that realm. Could be wrong about that twenty years later, maybe the UTS concessions to IBM stuff such as EBCDIC or suchlike put the kibosh on it. Received on Sat Oct 16 2010 - 03:15:55 CEST

Original text of this message