Re: Hashing for DISTINCT or GROUP BY in SQL

From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn_at_garlic.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 13:45:22 -0400

paul c <anonymous_at_not-for-mail.invalid> writes:
> I was given one or should I say I just took it. I worked for a
> hole-in-the-wall research company and we couldn't afford the
> maintenance. The parts were all what I called NASA-quality, eg., the
> 3 HP three-phase electric motor had a label on it saying 'lubricate
> every 20 years'. The IBM model number was 2321. It was ten years old
> and had 1,700 hours on the clock, so the university we got it from
> obviously had problems keeping it running too.

I was undergraduate at univ. where the library got ONR grant for doing online catalog ... part of the money went to getting a 2321 (to host the online catalog). The project was also selected to be one of the original betatest sites for CICS product ... and I got tasked to support/debug CICS. ibm 2321 reference:
http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/storage/storage_2321.html columbia 2321 reference:
http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/datacell.html

Decade later, I was at SJR and doing some of the stuff for original relational/sql implementation (system/r with Jim Gray) ... when Jim left for tandem ... he palmed off bunch of stuff on me.

Another decade and half ... happened to be doing some work with somebody that had been one of the engineers that developed the 2321 (wasn't one of the engineering managers mentioned in the columbia article)