Re: What would be a truly relational operating system ?

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:53:16 -0800 (PST)

On 11 nov, 23:42, Casey Hawthorne <caseyhHAMMER_T..._at_istar.ca> wrote:
> Are you talking about a truly relational file system?
> As opposed to a truly relational O/S.
A truly relational O/S would require a truly relational file system since current filesystems are primarily designed for direct image systems.
Building a relational OS on the top of a direct image file system woul dbe equivalent to building a ferrari with a poor man's car wheels. The filesystem and the storage mechanism would have to be specifically though to minimize IO operations into representing a file as a relation presentation. The role of the relational filesystem would be that representation.

> The O/S knows where it's data structures are and what they are used
> for, so I don't see the advantage of the overhead of a RDBMS for O/S
> files.
> Although, the Windows registry could benefit from having an RDBMS
> version copy of itself, since it would be easier to do ad-hoc queries
> on this important structure.
Why should we only limit a relational OS to querying. Once every element is a relation representation
, the possibilities are endless.