Re: Codd's Information Principle

From: Tegiri Nenashi <tegirinenashi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 19:11:00 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 6, 5:19 pm, com..._at_hotmail.com wrote:

> Anyway, the quantifiers are not in the relational algebra,
> they are in the corresponding predicate expression.

The main objective of Algebraic Logic is eliminating the concept of quantifier. The two success stories are Boolean Algebra (aka Propositional Calculus in algebraic form) and (Binary) Relation Algebra (corresponding to some fragment of Predicate Calculus?)

Arguably, there is no ubiquitous algebraic system for Predicate Calculus despite Tarski, Halmos, and many others exerted quite an effort. (There is an inspirational essay by Halmos that I posted link on sci.logic a while ago -- cant find the reference!) Codd's relational algebra can be considered the first genuine algebraization of predicate calculus... Received on Sat Nov 07 2009 - 04:11:00 CET

Original text of this message