Re: Codd's Information Principle

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 21:08:30 -0400

paul c wrote:

> Bob Badour wrote:
>

>> paul c wrote:

>>> If you mean the last sentence, I could expand it by saying that for
>>> any given purpose, in other words any given application, I think that
>>> single extension must have one interpretation. Since the expression
>>> might not involve any algebraic operations, I think it is best to
>>> discard those in the interpretation, no matter how the extension was
>>> formed. I say 'best' because that seems sufficient to me and I don't
>>> see how including those ops is necessary. I would like to know what
>>> problems this causes, eg., I don't see that
>>> inconsistences/contradictions or loss of utility or inability to
>>> optimize result from it.
>>
>> I cannot make sense of what you wrote.
>
> Best I can do at the moment without a clue or two.  If Bob B doesn't get
> any part of it either there is little point embellishing or possibly I
> have lapsed into mysticism, will reserve judgment for now.  Oh well,
> that's life.

I suspect you simply do not include enough context to decipher what you are saying. If I have a relation variable, R, at any given time, its extension is simply its value. Is it not? Since R can have different values at different times, it can have more than one extension; albeit, only one at a time. Received on Mon Nov 02 2009 - 02:08:30 CET

Original text of this message