Re: WWW/Internet 2009: 2nd CFP until 21 September x

From: Walter Mitty <wamitty_at_verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 21:11:44 GMT

"paul c" <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote in message news:PJdim.41662$PH1.35059_at_edtnps82...
> Walter Mitty wrote:
>> I was once an assembly language type myself. ...
>
> A boss once said to me "you assembler programmers can never see the big
> picture". I think there is some pernicious truth in this, the bare-mental
> mentality that creeps into one's perspective reminds me of the disjointed
> murals from the 13th century before painters discovered visual
> perspective. It didn't matter if the figures were in the foreground or
> background, the person who was taller in real life was taller in the
> mural.

When I think of the crazy stuff I wrote in assembler in the 1960s, it makes me want to weep. What a waste of good intellect! But hey, I was smart but ignorant. It goes with being young.

 One of the things that kept me wired into assembler for so long was interactive debugging. Interactive debugging in higher level languages was painful, because the tools were not well worked out. But interactive debugging of assembler code was easy. Too easy. I didn't start learning how to write bug free code until I got away from interactive debugging. Received on Mon Aug 17 2009 - 23:11:44 CEST

Original text of this message