Re: Does entity integrity imply entity identity?

From: Walter Mitty <wamitty_at_verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 04:03:14 GMT

"Nilone" <reaanb_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:d218288c-7a72-4b77-900e-8fa39fcdae6a_at_l34g2000vba.googlegroups.com... On Aug 6, 10:13 pm, "Mr. Scott" <do_not_re..._at_noone.com> wrote:
> <snip>

> > > Here's a more concrete example. Software can be delivered to a
> > > customer
> > > over the internet or through the mail or both, but in order to deliver
> > > over
> > > the internet there must be an e-mail address, and in order to deliver
> > > through the mail there must be a snail-mail address. There may also be
> > > delivery contact phone number. So for a given order K, there must be
> > > at
> > > least one of an e-mail address A or a snail-mail address B, and there
> > > may be
> > > a delivery phone number C.
>
> > Three separate relations: {K -> A}, {K -> B}, {K -> C}. It doesn't
> > enforce the requirement for at least A or B, but neither does {K -> A,
> > B, C} where A, B and C are nullable.
>
> CREATE TABLE T
> (
> K INT NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
> A VARCHAR(40) NULL,
> B VARCHAR(160) NULL,
> C VARCHAR(20) NULL,
> CHECK (A IS NOT NULL OR B IS NOT NULL)
> )
>
> enforces the requirement for either A or B.

I see your point. While searching for information on this topic, I came across the following paper:

Incorporating record subtyping into a relational data model http://dbis.eprints.uni-ulm.de/377/1/KaDa94.pdf

If anyone has any opinions or further information on record subtyping, I'd like to hear about it.

Do a web search on "generalization specialization relational modeling". You'll find several interesting articles. Received on Fri Aug 07 2009 - 06:03:14 CEST

Original text of this message