Re: Does entity integrity imply entity identity?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 02:30:28 -0300

Mr. Scott wrote:

> "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>

>>Mr. Scott wrote:
>>
>>>Since the entity integrity rule ensures that a relational table cannot
>>>have any duplicate rows, does that imply that each row in a table maps to
>>>a distinct entity?
>>
>>I am unfamiliar with an entity integrity rule. It sounds like some shit
>>somone just made up to market ER diagrams.

> I thought Codd referred to the the entity integrity and referential
> integrity rules as the insert-update-delete rules of the relational model.

Can you cite a reference for that?

> The entity integrity rule requires that no primary key value or part of a
> primary key value can be missing, which ensures that there can be no
> duplicate rows in a relational table.

That sounds more like the guaranteed access rule, which is sometimes referred to as logical identity.

>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codd's_12_rules
>>
>>The guaranteed access rule is sometimes called the logical identity rule.

> Does that mean that entity integrity implies entity identity? Is logical
> identity the same thing as entity identity?

I am unaware of anything called an entity in either the algebra or the calculus. The guaranteed access rule is sometimes referred to as logical identity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_of_indiscernibles Received on Sun Aug 02 2009 - 07:30:28 CEST

Original text of this message